Audio disapears after about 1 second

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
smb

Audio disapears after about 1 second

Post by smb »

Description of problem or question:
I am new to your program, I tried converting a MP4 clip from my digital tape saved to computer drive. The clip plays find within Windows. However after converting it using your app, the audio is there when it first starts and then drops out completely after about 1 second.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
I have tried a few different small files and have the same issue.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

1.2.2 (2019022300)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 10 Pro Version 1809 OS Build 17763.316

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

https://pastebin.com/nR7a2uCc
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Audio disapears after about 1 second

Post by mduell »

If the audio tracks in the source are the same, just passthrough the existing AAC track rather than transcoding the EAC3 track.
smb

Post by smb »

Thank you for your response and your suggestion worked for me. Should I by default, use Auto Passthru on all files? If not, how do I make a determination as to when to use it or not to use it? Feel free to direct me to a URL or topic in manual if I can find the answer there.

Your guidance is appreciated,
Steven
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

If you want a track that exists in your source, then yes, use auto passthrough. If you don't want that, then pick what you want.

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/tec ... odecs.html
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

What did you use to record the digital tape in the first place? It's possibly exposing a limitation of the libavcodec E-AC-3 decoder, which is intriguing…
smb

Post by smb »

Rodeo, I used a Canon XHG1Digital Camera. My wife also used her cell phone, a Nokia Icon a few years ago. It may be just the cell phone's files that are giving me the problem. I ran the app on about 4 different files, but now I don't remember If they were all from her cell phone. If this is important to you, I would be happy to try again and log which camera was used and if it is specific to the hardware.
Deleted User 11865

If you can share same clips with problematic E-AC-3 audio via Dropbox or similar, we could take a look at it (nothing will come of it in the short term, but eventually it may be possible to amend the corresponding audio decoder if there's indeed a bug) :)
smb

Post by smb »

Rodeo, I will do as you ask and post a sample file for you to test. I will be away for a bit so I hope to have a link posted here for you by tomorrow.
Deleted User 11865

No hurry :)
smb

Post by smb »

It appears as if all of these files were shot on a Nokia Cell Phone. Some from the same performance do play OK. But some either don't play at all or with video throughout but the sound goes away after a couple of seconds. if I use HandBrake with the pass through these files do play well.

Here are two links to some sample files. The image quality is not very good, poor lighting and my wife did not know how to adjust for low light conditions.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/niaazdut8wssh ... o.mp4?dl=0

Good luck

p.s. Let me know if you find anything that I should be doing differently, other than teach my wife how to shoot video. Thanks
andrewk89
Novice

Post by andrewk89 »

smb wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:11 am The image quality is not very good, poor lighting and my wife did not know how to adjust for low light conditions.
I recently discovered Shotcut to correct bad white balance and lighting. Very steep learning curve - maybe a dozen attempts over ~2 weeks before I had half an understanding. It's de-noising and sharpening are not good. It's project settings and export is confusing. I've ended up exporting Shotcut lossless video as FFV1 and lossless audio as FLAC to MKV, then final encode in Handbrake with its denoising and sharpening. Yes, two encodes, but much better looking video then when I started.
smb

Post by smb »

Thanks andrewk89 for the tip. I will give it a try. None of those clips above have gone through any kind of an editor. I have used Premiere in the past, but since they went to a subscription base program, I don't have the volume of clips to justify the expense. I will give shortcut a try, hopefully they used Premiere as their blueprint.
Deleted User 11865

smb wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:11 amHere are two links to some sample files. The image quality is not very good, poor lighting and my wife did not know how to adjust for low light conditions.

Thanks! But both links are for the same file ;)
Deleted User 11865

Interestingly, the symptom is the same (audio cuts out after about a second) but has a different cause.

Any chance you can also upload WP_20151113_19_45_13_Pro.mp4 from your first post with the log?