DVD rip quality problems

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
mcouture

DVD rip quality problems

Post by mcouture »

Description of problem or question:

Newbie warning here. I want to rip DVD collection to disk and run through Plex. I have about 300 hundred 'regular' DVDs and about a hundred BR DVDs in my collection. I did 3 test transcodes with "The Hangover DVD" and I get poor video quality and sound quality.

I ripped some DVDs years ago with Handbrake and if I compare the quality now to then (different DVD titles) there is no comparison...the older rips are much better than now.

I'm wondering if I should just do a straight DVD to disk export and not do any transcoding whatsoever. I don't want to say I have unlimited disk space and processing power but I'm running a Plex server with a 2400G Ryzen with 6TB of mirrored disk space currently. If I go that route, how do I accomplish a straight rip without transcoding?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

Fast 1080p30
HQ 1080p30 Surround
Super HQ 1080p30 Surround
Apple 1080p30 Surround

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Linux Mint 19.1
kernel 4.20.8
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: DVD rip quality problems

Post by Woodstock »

With no logs to see what is going on, we cannot know.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

DVD is PAL or NTSC Standard Definition.
You cannot turn them into HD. It's that simple.
That's why you cannot upsample them in Handbrake GUI.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Which reminds me - using the 1080pXX presets with DVD as an input will disable certain optimizations intended for DVDs, like deinterlace. Using the 480pXX (576pXX for PAL) will be a better starting point.

But, again, logs will tell us what handbrake is seeing on your source files.