General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Funinhtemud

Post by Funinhtemud »

Hi all I'm new to this ripping thing and so far it's been a big learning curve, I have ripped a few dvd's so far, I'm still learning all the features of it my first question Is why does it only rip in 720 and not 1080, I would like them to be full screen when applied ( I know some are filmed in widescreen only) I'm using the standard presets for know till I learn more about what I'm doing, Where can I find the best advice for a beginner, I'm ripping in MKV format btw. For the audio should I make changes I like to use my surround sound system, Size of the files dont matter as I have lots of space Thanks in advance
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Newbie

Post by Woodstock »

Using the graphic user interface (GUI), you will not get "upscaling" to a higher resolution; If your source is a DVD, the maximum resolution will be 480 lines (480p) or 576 lines (576p), depending on whether it is an NTSC or PAL disk. Bluray sources can be encoded at up to 1080p, UHD sources up to 2160p.

A preset can cause it to be DOWNconverted; if you use a preset that has 480p in its name on a UHD source, the result will be a 480p file.

Having "lots of space" will remedy itself soon enough. :)
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

720x480 and 720x576 are 480p and 576p, respectively. It's based on the height, not the width. DVDs are SD, not HD.

Your device or player software should have a full screen mode independent of the video's resolution.
Funinhtemud

Post by Funinhtemud »

TY both so far. ok for the next ? what the advantage of mp4 vs mkv if any,
I'm mostly using the ripped videos thru plex on a smart tv should I change the setting under the type of device if so which one
Funinhtemud

Post by Funinhtemud »

Sorry if these have been asked before and if so just point me to the link lol
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

MKV files allow more types of streams in them (audio, video, subtitle, chapters, and such) than MK4 files allow.

For example, an MKV file can contain the PGS subtitles found on Bluray disks, while MP4 is limited to text-only, if you strictly follow the standard.

The disadvantage is that some devices do not play MKV files. To do it on an Apple product, for example, you have to install third-party software. It almost seems like Apple has a phobia about supporting any standard that doesn't require an expensive license...