Large discrepancy in output file sizes

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
jcasale

Large discrepancy in output file sizes

Post by jcasale »

I just started to convert a season of videos I have from 264 to 265. They are 1080p in .mkv format and approx 1.8gb in size. Their file sizes and running time are very close. All have same audio. My issue is I took the first 7 and queued them to convert over night and all of them converted down in size to about 600-700mb each. This is what I was expecting. I just started the next batch and so far the first two to finish were over 1g in size. All the settings were the same as the first batch so I'm confused to why these are so much larger. Any ideas? Thanks.

1.2.0 Windows 7
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Large discrepancy in output file sizes

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your HB logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
jcasale

Post by jcasale »

While obtaining the logs I looked through them and saw the one I did today showed Quality set at 22 (default). I'm 99.5% sure I set this to 23 to match my earlier batch. I have the number written down and do remember referencing it when I made the change. Anyway I had started over on one file before posting and can verify that I am at Quality 23 and the encoding is about half way done and the resulting output file is currently at 203mb. This is on track, I hope, to the file size I am aiming for. I will post my logs if this one I'm doing now changes to the higher size when finished. Thank you.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Audio tracks (number and type/bitrate) will also impact size. As can filtering. Thus the logs requirement to avoid 20 (or is it 22?) questions.