Why has the advanced tab been removed completely?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Why has the advanced tab been removed completely?

Post by mduell »

You may be confusing HB presets with the encoder presets, because they're confusingly named. The encoder presets (and tunes, and level limits) mentioned upthread have nothing to do with HB presets. You don't need to specify individual x264 options just because you don't want to use a HB preset.
DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Post by DrXenos »

No, I realize they are different. I do using the encoder presets and limits (I use high 4.1). Do the HB presets not "tweak" these with the more advanced options? I thought they did. If they don't, awesome.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

DrXenos wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:11 pmNo, I realize they are different. I do using the encoder presets and limits (I use high 4.1). Do the HB presets not "tweak" these with the more advanced options? I thought they did. If they don't, awesome.
High is a profile, not an encoder preset.

The HB presets may include encoder presets, tunes, profiles, levels, and really just arbitrary advanced options, but generally don't.
DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Post by DrXenos »

I know it's a profile. Sorry if I my response was ambiguous. As for the preset, I use "slower." (for tuning, I typically use "film.")
RandomEngy
Novice

Post by RandomEngy »

Woodstock wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:39 pm You might go visit the vidcoder site - they like to add menu options to their version of handbrake.
I'm probably going to remove it from VidCoder as well for all the same reasons listed here. Also it's a large translation burden for not a lot of benefit.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

The conspiracy spreads! Big media got to RandomEngy.
killerpot

Post by killerpot »

that dumb to removed advanced tab i learn many thing just checking the option set when i put slower and see with option change and learn and read on google you should re add this thats dumb !
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

This thread has outlived its usefulness. Re-hashing the discussion multiple times changes nothing.

To summarise before closing.
- Choose an appropriate encoder preset on the video tab. (Ideally the slowest you can tolerate but somewhere around Fast/Medium is typically fine)
- Chose a tune if available for your chosen encoder and if appropriate.
- Set the Profile / Level (per the limits of your chosen playback device.) (If available for your chosen encoder)

If you have an edge case that requires a specific encoder setting set, this can be done via the Extra Arguments box. for x264 only, the tooltip on this box will show the entire options string based on the above options and your changes. No other encoders offer this feature.

- Encode and be happy. The developers behind the encoders know what they are doing. The preset system works well and you're not likely to gain anything by deviating.

Locked.