Wrong localization choice on osx

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
ericdordt@hotmail.com

Wrong localization choice on osx

Post by ericdordt@hotmail.com »

On my Imac i've got a German keyboard, an English System, and French as preferred Language for apps (followed by English, but no German despite my Keyboard). I know i am an Alien , but i live in a border Region.

Starting with 1.2.0 , the program starts with German localization (the same as the keyboard layout). I would understand that u choose one of the liste localization in the preferred languages for application in system settings (in preferrence order).

Best solution would be to let the user decide on the localization.

Voila Voila !
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Re: Wrong localization choice on osx

Post by Ritsuka »

The app language is chosen by the system based on the list in System Preferences -> Language & Region. HandBrake is currently only in English and German. So if you have English before German in System Preferences it will be in English, if not, in German. Anyway, macOS chooses the language, there is no code in HandBrake to set the active localisation.
ericdordt@hotmail.com

Post by ericdordt@hotmail.com »

Ahh Yes thx , this works, i had only french and german in the language and regions listbox, i added English before German and.....tadaaaa

Thx
Deleted User 45146

Post by Deleted User 45146 »

Unfortunately for me the proposed solution does not work.

Before version 1.2 Handbrake was in English only, which was perfect. Most tutorials and help files are in English only, and now I have to find my way around in a partly German, partly English version...
Why is there no switch for the language in Handbrake itself? (as there is in the Windows version, as I understand?)
Sorry, but this feature is no improvement, but a step back. I find this is really annoying...

Thank you for looking into this!
Stefan
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

HandBrake docs are available in German too: https://handbrake.fr/docs/de/
If you have an issue with the localisation contact Nomis101 .
Nomis101

Post by Nomis101 »

vichman wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:09 am around in a partly German, partly English version...
Oh, wow. This shouldn't be partly English. On which places do you see English strings in the German localized version?
The only English leftovers are the strings that are not localizable, because they are shared between macOS, Windows and Linux. This is Bug 1411: https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/issues/1411
Please also keep in mind, 1.2.0 is initially localized, so it will be improved with every version (see nightly for most recent one).

There are on Mac two ways to get the English UI back. First is, to switch the system language to English. Second is, to remove the localized files by deleting (!) the folders HandBrake.app/Contents/Frameworks/HandBrakeKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/de.lproj and HandBrake.app/Contents/Resources/de.lproj (before removing any language, keep in mind, the localizers are working very hard to translate all 1111 Mac and all 5189 windows strings to give every user the best UI experience).