Handbrake Default Subtitle Font (SRT)

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Grigori

Handbrake Default Subtitle Font (SRT)

Post by Grigori »

I'm new to the latest version of Handbrake and have been happily using a older version for a while now. But.. I'm starting to work with more 4k video and it's time to upgrade. I've been playing around with the settings some but can't figure out how to set a default subtitle font.

I'm using the app Subtitle Edit (3.5.8) to edit my .SRT subtitles.

I just want all my subtitles to use the Arial font. It seems to be defaulting to another. Any thoughts? I'm not burning in subtitles into the file, just adding the SRT file.

Example:

I convert homevideo1 using my older version of handbrake and import my .SRT file.. language is English, Char Code is UTF-8. (default) I run the conversion and everything looks great. The font is how I want it to look.

I convert that same homevideo1 file using the same .SRT file with the latest version of handbrake with the same settings and I get a different font.

I'm sure I could go into Subtitle Edit and set a font tag for every line of the subtitle, but it seems like maybe I'm missing a easier fix. Thoughts/suggestions?

I'm not having any problems getting Handbrake to work, not having any bug issues. Just looking to see if there are any options I might be missing.

Handbrake 1.2.0 (2018121700)

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

No activity log (I clear logs and haven't done a conversion since I had a issue with fonts)

No other logs

(Consider a fresh install)

Thanks
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Handbrake Default Subtitle Font (SRT)

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your HB logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Unless you're having handbrake burn the subtitles in, SRT fonts are dependent on the playback environment. Of course, the log of the encode would tell us that. How can you have an "issue with fonts" if you haven't done an encode yet?
Grigori

Post by Grigori »

I've done encodes but I clear logs after. I'll do a test encode and post logs though and see if we can figure things out. But encoding the same file and same srt sub with both versions of handbrake.. Then playing the 2 files I get 2 different types of subtitle font. I don't burn in subtitles. Using flv player. (only different item in the process is the version of handbrake)

I can set font types in srt using <font> tags, but I don't. Pretty basic srt.