white screen when playing avi file

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
sigd64

white screen when playing avi file

Post by sigd64 »

hi all.

first thing first fantastic programme, but now to my problem!!!

having ripped pirates of the caribben using constant quality rate setting on a avi formate, when playing back on quicktime player i get a white screen (player 7.2). however if i ripe them in mp4 or mkv formate i have no problem viewing them.

i want to keep the source as good as possiable because i'm running it through my 37 inch hd tv hence the reason i want to have it on avi formate so it will run on my quicktime player.

Model Name: Mac
Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
SMC Version: 1.13f3
Serial Number: ************

one more think my macbook was purchased in america but i live in the uk

[Moderator Note: Serial Number removed.]
PuzZLeR
Bright Spark User

Post by PuzZLeR »

I'm a bit confused. What exactly do you want to do? What hardware are you using for playback and what kind of attachment to your TV?

Why AVI? The MP4 container is just fine for QuickTime.

Now if you were talking about encoding the file to Xvid and playing it through a certified DivX/Xvid player on your TV, then AVI is the most compatible container.

But if you're encoding to H.264, which would be the best to "keep the source as good as possible" as you say, then you'd better stay away from AVI because, with its aging technology, AVI won't handle H.264 very well. By its very nature it can't "see" that far with modern features like multiple reference frames, b-pyramids, etc. - no wonder you get the white screen if that was the case.

MKV is a good container, but you will have problems with compatibility on playback devices and apps since its not as supported as MP4.

PS: AVI, MP4 and MKV are not video codecs like H.264 or Xvid. They are only containers of video (and audio) in case you're confused.
sigd64

Post by sigd64 »

confused...sorry i sometime hve that affect.

i'm ripping everyting on my mac so i cant do a way with my dvd player. i'm using my macbook to play the files and using AV TO DVI cable to contect to my tv but will be chaging it soon as i can. i have quicktime, dvix and vlc media players.

i can run mkv file using vlc media player if like you say is a truer formate and i'm not conserend about the amount of space the dvd's take up as i have loads of storage.

realy what i'm trying to say is, i want to copy the dvds in the best possibel formate i can and watch them back on my macbook through my tv even if i half to buy software to play it.

i will be buy a new pc soon so it's more conpatable with my hdtv but would like to start copying now as it's going to take some time.

many thanks

barrie j
PuzZLeR
Bright Spark User

Post by PuzZLeR »

Hi again,

Well, what you're basically asking for is how to get the best quality from your rips (and even though you have the storage, a decent file size would be nice).

There is no direct answer for this because it's taste, but I can recommend a few things. And you don't need to buy software either.

Use H.264 - best quality per file size.
Use MKV if you want the original AC3 audio, since MP4 doesn't support it.
Use MP4 if you want better compatibility though. Then again, AAC audio is still great.

As well, keep in mind, there is no one bitrate that will give the same quality for all video. If you want high quality encodes each time without fussing over bitrates, use CRF. And it's only one pass to complete.

Try settings between 60%-70%. Lower gives weaker quality. Higher gives very, very little quality gains and wastes storage. The higher, the better the quality (and bigger file size).

The file sizes will vary since some video has more motion scenes and needs more bitrate than other, but using CRF will guarantee you the same quality each time for whatever percentage you choose.

If you liked the quality at, for example, 67% - you can use it for all your encoding and no matter what the file size is, big or small, you will get that same quality for every rip.
sigd64

Post by sigd64 »

thank you very much,