Will Handbrake allow me to use subtitles while watching a movie on my TV?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
amsikder7
New User

Will Handbrake allow me to use subtitles while watching a movie on my TV?

Post by amsikder7 »

I wanted to watch A Quiet Place on my TV (Vizio P55-F1 if that is necessary), so I got an .mkv video file for it with .srt subtitles to watch it with subtitles. I put the video with subtitles (same folder, same name as movie file) on my flash drive to watch the movie but subtitles never showed up. I asked around and someone told me to try using Handbrake to embed subs into the movie file.

Currently, I am encoding an English subtitle file into the movie with Handbrake, with the "Burn in" box checked. The movie is in 2160p but to test it I put the preset on Fast 480p30 to see if subs work but it's showing that the encoding will take 4-5 hours to get finished, so I wanted to know if this program can serve my purpose, or if it doesn't, if there are other ways to do what I am trying to do.

Thanks.
BradleyS

Re: Will Handbrake allow me to use subtitles while watching a movie on my TV?

Post by BradleyS »

It should work if you added the .SRT file using the Subtitles tab in HandBrake.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

And if you're testing, you do not have to encode the whole video. Pick a chapter or a couple of minute chunk, and encode that.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Best to pick a chapter or portion from the start of the video to test SRT. There's a bug in previews that won't correct the offset, but this won't affect a full length encode or partial encodes starting from the beginning.