AAC 7.1 Support

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Kleobis

AAC 7.1 Support

Post by Kleobis »

I am using Synology and Fire TV to watch my movies at home. In the past I haven't had a surround sound system so 5.1 or 7.1 has never mattered. However, now that I am adding a surround sound system, I am trying to make sure that I can enjoy the better sound quality. While Dolby is supported with both Synology and Fire TV, DTS is not. They won't even allow for pass through of DTS so that my surround sound system can decode everything, which is really frustrating. So when I have a movie with DTS, which is most of them, I am selecting the AAC codec and downmixing to 5.1 so at least I can somewhat enjoy the surround sound. When the update came in December, I noticed that there was now "support for up to 7.1 channel AAC encoding (note that FDK AAC/HE-AAC do not support 6.1)". Maybe I am misunderstanding what is being said here, but when am choosing my mixdown I see the three different mono options, stereo, Dolby Surround, Dolby Pro Logic II, and 5.1. With the added support from the latest update, wouldn't I now see 7.1 in the dropdown options as well? I am not an expert here so maybe I am missing something obvious, but any help would be great so that I can take advantage of a movie that has a soundtrack in 7.1. Thanks in advance!

Handbrake 1.2.0
Operating system, Windows 10 Pro
I don't have an activity log for this as I am not sure that I need one given my question.
Deleted User 11865

Re: AAC 7.1 Support

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Only if the input audio is 7.1 channels to begin with.
Kleobis

Post by Kleobis »

I can understand that a 7.1 input would be needed to produce a 7.1 output. My question is how to select the 7.1. Its not included in the dropdown menu like 5.1 is.
Deleted User 11865

It won't be in the list if your input audio track is not 7.1. If you have a source with 7.1 audio loaded in HandBrake, and 7.1 is not listed in the mixdown drop-down for the corresponding audio input track, please provide the Scan Log for said source and a screenshot of the audio panel.
Kleobis

Post by Kleobis »

My problem is that I do have content with 7.1 and its not showing up in the drop down menu, unless it is somewhere else. Here is the link to my activity log.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ovz3nzuv4qyt ... .docx?dl=0
Deleted User 11865

Indeed, can you provide a screenshot of the audio panel please?
Kleobis

Post by Kleobis »

I am completely confused! I had two different computers running handbrake after Christmas with the the new update and processed over a dozen movies with 7.1. Each time handbrake did not give me an option for 7.1, but now that you are asking for a screen shot of it of course my luck would show 7.1 as an option! :lol: Now I know what it feels like when someone asks me to help them with their computer and when I show up, it is working fine! Sorry for wasting your time and thanks for your help. I don't know how or why, but it is an option for me now.