Constant Quality Settings of 0

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Kleobis

Constant Quality Settings of 0

Post by Kleobis »

I have a significant amount of space of my server that streams all of my movies in my home and as a result I don't really care about the file size of my movies. I rip everything with Make MKV and I would be fine with using this as my file for my movie server, but I have an issue with the audio that requires me to use handbrake to convert DTS to AAC as Fire TV and Synology do not allow DTS passthru. I am currently using a constant quality setting of 15 on all of my movies, but I can see some differences when comparing with a Blu-ray disk. Make MKV says that the file that is created is an exact copy from the disc and I would think that would be considered lossless due to this. I have messed around with the constant quality settings and put it at 0 to see what would happen. The result was a significantly larger file then the original file. The instructions on Handbrake indicates that I would see this, unless the file was lossless, but as I mentioned earlier I believe that is what I am getting from Make MKV. I have tried H.265 and H.265 10 bit and realize that these are compression settings, but with a setting of 0 wouldn't handbrake be pretty much be passing the video through with no compression at all? Maybe I missing something here or does Make MKV not produce a lossless file? Thanks in advance!

HandBrake version 1.2.0
Windows 10
I have not included an activity log at the moment as I am not sure I need to based on my question.
Deleted User 11865

Re: Constant Quality Settings of 0

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Blu-ray discs are encoded using lossy video compression techniques; MakeMKV is passing it through. HandBrake always re-encodes the video. HandBrake's RF 0 is smaller than the uncompressed studio matter, but larger than a lossy encode of said studio master (such as the Blu-ray).

You may be better off re-encoding the audio using other software. MakeMKV should be able to re-encode DTS to AC-3, but not sure whether it can output AAC.
Kleobis

Post by Kleobis »

Thanks for the information, I was unaware that Blu-ray content was lossy. I will have to take another look at Make MKV, I thought it only copied data and wouldn't convert any of the audio. If you have any other suggestions for a program to convert audio after I rip it with Make MKV, assuming it can't convert DTS to AC3 or AAC, that would be great! Thanks again!
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

ffmpeg will passthrough the video while converting the audio.
razorback

Post by razorback »

...you may want to try "XMediaRecode"....
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV currently can convert to FLAC or AAC, but not AC3. It requires "expert mode" be turned on and the appropriate profile be used.