Align A/V start - Windows vs Linux presets

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
ShortBus

Align A/V start - Windows vs Linux presets

Post by ShortBus »

Hello all,

I have been using Handbrake for a while on Windows, but still feel like I am learning my way around the use of various settings and options. I have mainly stayed with using the various "General" presets for the output video size and quality I would like. Recently I started dipping a toe in the Linux waters with Ubuntu and have installed Handbrake in that environment as well.

One difference I noticed is that the "Align A/V start" box is checked in all presets in the Linux version whereas they are not in the Windows version. I have tried to research this function and from what I have found, it sounds like this is generally only used when things are not working correctly otherwise.

So my question is, is this function required for proper encoding when running Linux (since it is enabled by default) or is it still something that is only needed if the output files are not playing properly?

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 10 b1803 & Ubuntu 18.10
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Align A/V start - Windows vs Linux presets

Post by Woodstock »

Align A/V start is a work-around for some sources. Most do not need it, but it doesn't hurt, really, to leave it turned on.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Woodstock wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:42 pm Align A/V start is a work-around for some sources. Most do not need it, but it doesn't hurt, really, to leave it turned on.
Except when it misdetects, and then misalgins your previously correct video.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Woodstock wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:42 pm Align A/V start is a work-around for some sources. Most do not need it, but it doesn't hurt, really, to leave it turned on.
Actually, it's more of a work-around for some *players*. If a player properly supports mp4 edit lists, it's not needed. But if the player does not support edit lists *and* the audio and video of the source do not start at exactly the same time, then you would need it.
ShortBus

Post by ShortBus »

Thank you for the responses, I appreciate the info.