Editing and Exporting Vertical Format Video for IGTV

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
cherisings
New User

Editing and Exporting Vertical Format Video for IGTV

Post by cherisings »

Description of problem or question:
I would like to post videos to IGTV. IGTV requires a vertical format with a recommended ratio of 9:16 (1080x1920). Excuse me if I get some of this incorrect. I am a complete newbie to video editing. The video I want to post was shot in a vertical format on a Samsung Galaxy 7. However, I need to trim part of the front and back of the video. I have tried this using both Lightworks and ClipChampCreate. Both automatically change the format to horizontal. Lightworks does this immediately when you import the video. My husband and I are sideways in the Lightworks viewer instead of sitting straigh up. The ClipChampCreate showed us sitting up, but when I went to upload it into IGTV I could see that the thumbnail had put a lot of black space to the left and right of the video to revert the format to horizontal even though it was showing us sitting up. IGTV would not accept the upload saying, unsurprisingly, that it was not in a vertical format. Is handbrake able to allow me to clip the ends of the video and then export it back to my computer WITHOUT changing it back to a horizontal format?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 10, 64-bit

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

I am so sorry. I have read and re-read your instructions for how to get this activity log and I just can't find it! I go to C:\Users\user (there is no file with my username afer c:\User) and I only see: .MCTranscodingSDK and 3DObjects and contacts and Creative Cloud files and Desktop and Documents and Downloads and Favorites and Links and Music and One Drive and Pictures and Saved Games and Searches and Videos. Maybe this is because I have yet to do anything on Handbrake other than ask thsi question?
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Editing and Exporting Vertical Format Video for IGTV

Post by mduell »

Yes, HB lets you select start and end time for encoding. HB won't make the video horizontal unless you ask it to.