CPU upgrade

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
French-guy

CPU upgrade

Post by French-guy »

Description of problem or question:
Hello
My current PC is an old one, made of a Phenom X6 1055t and 4GB Ram
I'm using MakeMKV and Handbrake (latest version) to rip all my Blurays to store them on my server (Unraid)
Once MakMKV is finished, I use Super HQ 1080p Surround, and select DTS-HD passthru for Audio
But it takes forever (8 to 12 hours) with average FPS being around 4 or 5 (with my Phenom being O/C at 3.5Ghz...max temp being under 50'C for now)
What CPU upgrade should I look at, without breaking the bank? For example, what should I expect with a Ryzen 5 2600 ?
Also, do I need more than 4GB RAM?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: CPU upgrade

Post by s55 »

Hold off for 2 weeks and see what AMD announces at CES.

I wouldn't run any system with 4GB ram these days. Chrome will eat whatever windows does with just a few tabs open for example.
8 Is kinda the minimum you'd want in general.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

4 GB is indeed a bare minimum nowadays; and not enough if you want to encode 4K with x264 (and possibly x265) lookahead. It won't have any effect on encoding speed per se though (until you run out of available RAM, that is). Not familiar enough with AMD CPUs to offer any guidance in that regard.
French-guy

Post by French-guy »

Yeah, I know 4GB is really not enough nowadays. But my question was more to know if more RAM will speed up the encoding process, but after some search on Google, it seems it won't since Handbrake heavily relies on CPU power (and actually I don't think it makes sense to invest money on my current platform)
Now my next question is what CPU would be a significant improvement over my current one that only gives ~3 FPS average?
What about Ryzen 5 2600 or 2600X, or i5-8400?
I'm trying to stay under $200 for the CPU
Thanks
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Seems like those cpu’s are fairly similar with AMD being slightly faster but intel has quicksync I believe.

So I guess it’s up to your preference and/or price.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Not all Intel "desktop" processors have Quick Sync Video though (only those featuring an integrated GPU), FWIW.