HandBrake 1.2.0: best settings to create a good Hevec file?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
FoxAdriano
Enlightened

Re: HandBrake 1.2.0: best settings to create a good Hevec file?

Post by FoxAdriano »

A last question please. I'd like to use the preset "Apple 2160 4K HEVC Surround" but with some settings I changed. Now I'd like to export it and use that file .json not only now but even in future project. But when I click on "Export to file" it seems impossible to export it. How can I do please? I'm not able to create a new profile. I'm inexperienced. I need to export it. Thanks for some info.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

You can save the modified preset as a NEW preset. Then select that preset, and ask for it to be exported.

I do not think you can export a preset before it is saved.
FoxAdriano
Enlightened

Post by FoxAdriano »

Please, how could I save the modified preset as a NEW preset. I tried but I'm not able to see that option.
I'd like to get a file like "Apple 2160 4K HEVC Surround" but with 50 FPS nad 15 RF.
Thanks for some precise info.

Edit:
Out of curiosity: why when I encode a h.265 file with a flag on "2-Pass Encoding", HandBrake makes on 1 Pass only? Infact I see "Encoding Pass 1 of 1" on the bottom od the screen.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

In the preset window, there should be a button that says "Add", which will allow you to create a new preset, using the current settings.

2-pass encoding is only used under certain circumstances, such as when you use "Subtitle scan", or are encoding for a certain bit rate. Using the "Constant quality" encoding does not require or use "scan the source" pass.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I think he's trying to do 2-pass encoding with CQ which isn't needed. Your targeting a specific quality and thus you don't need to optimise for quality based on a bitrate restriction.
FoxAdriano
Enlightened

Post by FoxAdriano »

1000 THANKS for your info.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

RF 15 for 4K is a joke and a bad idea.
FoxAdriano
Enlightened

Post by FoxAdriano »

mduell
What do you mean? Why is it a bad idea to set RF 15? On the HandBrake page it is written higher quality with small numbers.
I used RF15 as with 4K as with 1080 files.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

It's utterly excessive for either of those resolutions, mid 20s is more reasonable.