From Canon 5d mk iv MJPEG to MP4?

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
smmudge

From Canon 5d mk iv MJPEG to MP4?

Post by smmudge »

Happy New year to everyone.

I am new to HandBrake but I have used other transcoders in the past...

I now have a Canon 5D mark iv camera which records 4K video as MJEPG files with the MOV extension. I typically use 4K30 (4096x2160) in the NTSC settings on the camera. A 30 sec recording is around 2 Gb on the disk. I want to use this video in Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 although CS6 does not read the video aspect of this file and just gives me the audio portion. With HandBrake I can transcode the file into an MP4 file... well done HandBrake. My question is what settings / presets should I use to get the most appropriate quality considering I wish to play the final movies created on a 4K TV? I did a quick test and was able to get a file that is readable by Adobe PP CS6 although the file size is significantly smaller (110 MB vs 2.2 GB). I am only viewing the output on my laptop at the moment and so I am unable to gauge the final quality.

What would the recommended settings be to get the best out of this source file?

Many thanks.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: From Canon 5d mk iv MJPEG to MP4?

Post by mduell »

The Production Standard preset would be a good starting point. The files will be relatively large, but should be easy to edit with.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Handbrake will re-encode your file. This takes time and reduces quality, but it is convenient.
Try something like this in ffmpeg, which will fast copy with no losses.

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i "file name.mov" -vcodec copy -acodec copy "file name.mp4" 
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

@musicvid MJPEG in MP4?

As mduell mentions, the Production presets are designed for compatibility with video editors. See also the documentation for how to adjust quality: https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.2.0/work ... ality.html