Which GPU for hardware accelerated h265?

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
burliHB

Which GPU for hardware accelerated h265?

Post by burliHB »

Hi,
currently I have a Nvidia GTX 750 card. H.264 (NVEnc) works fine (Handbrake 1.2.0). But H.265 (NVEnc) fails because of this message

Code: Select all

[hevc_nvenc @ 0x7ff3cd4c0380] No NVENC capable devices found
I want to replace my GPU to get hardware acceleration for H.265. Currently I would prefer AMD. What would you recommend?

Regards
Markus
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: Which GPU for hardware accelerated h265?

Post by JohnAStebbins »

To be honest, I don't know if this actually works on linux at all. Nobody has tested it on anything but Windows to my knowledge.
burliHB

Post by burliHB »

Works with H.264 NVEnc. But the result is horrible. I want to rescale a 1080p video down to 720p. Runns pretty fast with ~60FPS instead of 20FPS CPU only. But the resulting file was 30% bigger than the source file. Don't know if it is possible to get better results with NVEnc

The H.265 on my CPU is slow. Only around 7FPS average. But the resulting files are much smaller
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

VCE is not supported on Linux within Handbrake. It may be in the future get basic support but there is no guarantee.

60FPS on NVENC is extremely slow so I'm guessing it's also not performing correctly or bottlenecked.
NVEnc isn't restricted on Linux, but it's not something we test or use so your mileage may vary. It's also not available in the GUI.
Last edited by s55 on Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated for clarity
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

I would test this, but it involves installing the nvidia proprietary drivers on linux. It's a bit of a PITA and once installed, it can be difficult to remove them and revert to the OSS nouveau drivers. Once nouveau got good enough for my normal desktop usage, I dumped the proprietary drivers and really don't want to fuss with them ever again. Every time I would have a kernel related crash, I had to wonder if it was an nvidia driver related issue. I stopped using VirtualBox and switched to KVM for the same reason.
burliHB

Post by burliHB »

s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

This article has nothing to do with HandBrake or AMF. The AMF library only very recently added Linux support and we are still running the older version that does not.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

burliHB wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:36 pmRunns pretty fast with ~60FPS instead of 20FPS CPU only. But the resulting file was 30% bigger than the source file.
That's par for the course with GPU (well, ASIC, since the actual GPU isn't used) based encoding. It's not good for quality or size, it's just fast.
burliHB

Post by burliHB »

Ok, I understand. So it makes more sense to buy a faster CPU instead of a new GPU