Breakdown TV series DVD into episodes

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
diedel43

Breakdown TV series DVD into episodes

Post by diedel43 »

Hello,

I'm sure this has been asked, but I am super new to using handbrake, as well as web forums so I apologize if this is a repeat topic. I am attempting to get my DVD collection of The Big Bang Theory digitized so i can add it to my Plex Media Server, but when I run it through HandBrake, it is keeping it as one whole clip. How do I go about breaking these down into the separate episodes? It seems to be showing up as 24 different chapters, which range from 1 minute to nearly 11 minutes. The DVD's tend to have 5-6 episodes each (current one I'm trying to work with has 6).

As I am new to this, any assistance would be greatly appreciated, and step-by-step instructions would greatly help as well.

If there is other programs that I need, I'd prefer to be able to keep this as free as possible to do.

I'm using HandBrake version 1.1.2, Windows 10 Home

Thank you!
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Breakdown TV series DVD into episodes

Post by Woodstock »

When I ripped BBT with MakeMKV, it found the individual episodes. It may have also found the "all in one" title, but the individual titles WERE present on the disk.

This is one reason why handbrake is not trying to be a ripper.
diedel43

Post by diedel43 »

Thank you. And this will keep them in a format that will allow them to be placed into Plex correct?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Plex can handle the "raw" MKV files generated by MakeMKV, if that is your question, but you can also use handbrake to make them smaller. As I recall (I did it for someone else), the compressed files were about 1/3rd the original size.

I use MakeMKV to rip optical disks, but everything goes through handbrake afterward, 'cuz even 70TB can get full (at 38% now).
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Pick the titles are that are individual episodes in MakeMKV.

Feed those files to HB only if you need further processing.