What's the best method for fast load on mobile devices?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Daniel

What's the best method for fast load on mobile devices?

Post by Daniel »

Recently I got a webpage going with videos that I converted in HandBrake. They look decent enough and play quickly on a PC but when I see the page on a phone (Android) they of course take a while to load. Reading around online there are suggestions like making another video in WebM, making a video in a smaller resolution like 640, and so on. Then there is this site which recommends a script placed on the webpage.

I figure many of the members off this forum have encountered this before and probably have found workable solutions for it.

Thanks

Daniel
Deleted User 13735

Re: What's the best method for fast load on mobile devices?

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

If the files are web optimized, they should begin to stream in a matter of seconds.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Web optimized will help them start playing before the entire video is downloaded.

Beyond that, reducing the bitrate by reducing the quality will help them load faster.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Thank you musicvid and mduell

I did web optimize the videos. I figure other factors such as type of phone (older one), host server, and so on, will affect the speed.

But I went back to it on the phone and it did load faster. Maybe the phone was not in the best mood when I previously tried. :-D

I wondered about uploading one of the videos to YouTube. Not having done it before nor any info about it I thought that the video, which is around 220 Mb, was going to be too much then I looked at the max file sizes you can upload on YT and was surprised at how large they could be. :-)

Daniel
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Oh right, this is why we... An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

mduell

Just to figure out they had been web optimized?