How to Get DTV shows onto *.MKV file on computer - Step-By-Step

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
BS BS BS

How to Get DTV shows onto *.MKV file on computer - Step-By-Step

Post by BS BS BS »

Description of problem or question:

Not a problem - this is a Step-By-Step for other "grammas" like myself. showiing how to get DTV shows from the TV to an *.mkv file on the laptop.

1.0.7 Handbrake Version STEP-BY-STEP for conversion from a show on TV to a *.MKV file on a laptop--HERE’S HOW A NON-GEEK GRAMMA DOES IT THE SIMPLE WAY. THOUGHT OTHERS LIKE ME MIGHT BE ABLE TO USE MY STEP-BY-STEP FOR NON-GEEKS TO GET SHOWS FROM the DirectTV Television SCREEN TO *.mkv COMPUTER FILES (on Windows 10 laptop).
****HEADS-UP: This might only work for version 1.0.7 of Handbrake. I’m a real computer “newbie” and I can’t understand even 1/10th of what all you folks are talking about in the forums. But I’ve (through trial and error and lots of light-lady-cussing) figured out how to use the 1.0.7 version of Handbrake (which I love) to get my movies and series episodes from the TV screen onto an *.MKV file on my laptop that plays back beautifully to either the laptop or the TV screen.
***I record my shows from DTV (on my TV) to a DVD-RW Disc (that is in my VCR-to-DVD recorder). Then I finalize the disc (in my DVD recorder). Then I convert them from the disc (in my laptop) to a *.MKV file that plays beautifully on my laptop screen (using GomPlayer) or the TV screen if I use an HDMI cord to connect the TV and the Laptop while the laptop is playing the movie or series episode. This is how I accomplish it using ONLY the PICTURE tab screen.
**** VERY IMPORTANT: REMEMBER TO FINALIZE THE DISK before moving it from the DVD recorder into your laptop to make conversions
****With the disc in your laptop, Open Handbrake It will open to SOURCE SELECTION --- click on the Option Titled: DVD Video Recording – Open this DVD or Bluray Drive
*****It will then open to the PICTURE tab and in that screen, I check (in the TITLE dropdown menu – under SOURCE in the upper left corner) to be sure there are as many titles showing as there were videos on the disc. Keep in mind that Handbrake will list them with it’s own names – not the ones you gave on the disc….but just be sure there are as many as the videos on the disc. If that is correct…
1---Make sure the first title (or any subsequent title you want to convert) is showing in the TITLE dropdown menu.
2---click Super HQ 720p30 Surround and then click Super HQ 1080p30 Surround (for some reason if I just click Super HQ 1080p30 Surround, the process doesn’t work);
3---then change Anamorphic to NONE,
4---Click Aspect Ratio to turned OFF,
5---change width to 980 and Height to 480; and
6---change Container (in Output Settings) to MKV instead of MP4 (my only two choices), then
7---Click AddToQueue
IMPORTANT: This process (#s 1 to 7) has to be done for each video file in the TITLE drop-down menu. Because, you see, if I don’t then once I finish “TITLE” #1 and click into TITLE #2 (found in the source section), the Width on the screen goes back to 720 and even though the screen looks like it accepts the 980 I put back in, if I go to ShowQueue and then float over that file in the queue, it shows that it is actually at 720.
----BUT if I do the entire process (#1-#7) for each file before AddToQueue is clicked for that file, --- my videos convert to *.mkv files that play on my computer screen (using GomPlayer) as a full screen show with everything showing.

Now, most of you high-techy-techy folks probably won’t have any use at all for my method, but I figured I couldn’t be the only “gramma” out there who was struggling to make use of this wonderful conversion tool. I love it now that I know how to use it. Once I reach the point that my funds have dwindled to the point that I cannot afford DirecTV anymore, I’ll have a full year or two of “reruns” in movie and series files that I can watch till I die (which will hopefully be YEARS later), and it’s all thanks to Handbrake. I just wanted the other “gramma’s” out there to know how to do it too, gramma style.
:^)

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 10

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

I know the rules say I have to supply this, but there is no activity log because this is just a Step-By-Step I use that I thought other "grammas" could benefit from knowing how to do.  There is no problem to report and no activity log because there has been no activity ????? 
Last edited by BS BS BS on Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: How to Get DTV shows onto *.MKV file on computer - Step-By-Step

Post by Woodstock »

If you're asking for a "step by step", you have given no information to help you.

If you're providing a "step by step", you should use a current version of handbrake to do it, and you have not provided any steps.

Start with answering, "What is a DTV show?"
BS BS BS

Post by BS BS BS »

Sorry Woodstock. I couldn't figure out how to use the forum form to add the post and submitted thinking it would then let me put in the Step-By-Step that I was posting (not asking for). So I just emailed the whole thing to the website ... and they will probably tell me it is useless for anyone using a current version, since my SBS is for my version, which is 1.1.2 (and I noticed after sending the email that the version being shown on the website now doesn't even HAVE my tab on which to work. God help me if this program ever updates itself to the newest version I'll probably have to give up using it. I'll have to email the developers again and ask them to delete this post as it is of no use to anyone.
A DTV show is a DirecTV show. DirecTV is a provider of TV shows that we can use here to see shows on our TV - for which we pay dearly, by the way.
BS BS BS

Post by BS BS BS »

Woodstock wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:35 pm If you're asking for a "step by step", you have given no information to help you.

If you're providing a "step by step", you should use a current version of handbrake to do it, and you have not provided any steps.

Okay - I figured out the "posting" .... I think. Once my Handbrake finishes the conversion it is dooing right now, I'll double-check my version of the program and then Edit this post with the info I'm trying to give....placing my Version of it at the top in the Subject. Hopefully it will help others who still are using the same version I am. It will be of little use, I think, to anyone using the new versions.
Thanks for the Heads-Up, Woodstock. Much appreciated.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Do I even want to know what tab you were using...
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

OK, DirecTV uses copy protection on their recordings, so the first thing your step-by-step is going to incorporate using software not associated with handbrake that strips that copy protection. That is really outside the scope of handbrake and this forum, since handbrake is not intended to remove copy protection.

Once you get the copy protection stripped, there's the transport stream error correction (another different program), before you reach the point of this being a problem handbrake handles.

Overall, this seems like a topic more suited to a forum for DirecTV, since the steps to get ready to use handbrake are so specific. I do know there are tutorials on the web for getting Tivo recordings converted to "standard" MPEG files (similar copy protection technique).
BS BS BS

Post by BS BS BS »

Woodstock wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:02 pm OK, DirecTV uses copy protection on their recordings, so the first thing your step-by-step is going to incorporate using software not associated with handbrake that strips that copy protection. That is really outside the scope of handbrake and this forum, since handbrake is not intended to remove copy protection.

Once you get the copy protection stripped, there's the transport stream error correction (another different program), before you reach the point of this being a problem handbrake handles.

Overall, this seems like a topic more suited to a forum for DirecTV, since the steps to get ready to use handbrake are so specific. I do know there are tutorials on the web for getting Tivo recordings converted to "standard" MPEG files (similar copy protection technique).
DirecTV doesn't copyprotect any of the shows or series's I'm watching. You are wrong there. Because if it did, I would not be able to copy the shows as I watch them directly from the TV to my DVD recorder. I got the recorder at Walmart and I just pop a DVD -RW disc in it while I'm watching a show on TV and click the RECORD button. Then I hit pause during the commercials and pause again to start the recording going again after the commercials. Then I just put the disc in my laptop and click Handbrake open and do the conversion to an *.MKV file.

So there are NO steps to get ready for Handbrake. I just take the disc I've recorded the show onto and pop it in the laptop and convert it with Handbrake. ALL my "steps" are on what to request from Handbrake after the disc is in the laptop.

Where do you get your information from? It seems to be just assumptions. I have no idea what you are talking about in your 2nd and 3rd paragraphs above. I don't use any other program. Just Handbrake and my DVD recorder from Walmart.
??

Anyway - thanks for trying to help. I'll take it from here.

Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Ah, you're using the "analog hole" to record, rather than pulling from the DirecTV recorder, where the files do have copy protection. I used to do this (computer) eons ago with TiVo standard definition recordings, but buying blank DVDs was a bit much, and things didn't work if you forgot to "close" the disk before removing it from the recorder. My recorder didn't like RW disks for some reason.

Pulling directly from the satellite box in full definition removed the cost and hassle of RW disks, and the decryption could be done with a batch process (third party tool, not "official").

Like you, I don't like the commercials being left in, but manually removing them does increase your time invested in doing it.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Now I really want to know what tab you're using...
BS BS BS

Post by BS BS BS »

mduell wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:14 pm Now I really want to know what tab you're using...
Hi - Sorry I took so long, but I've been away. I am using the 1.0.7 Version of Handbrake so don't know if your version will look the same, but if it does, the screen I use is the PICTURE tab. Don't know if I can answer you with an answer this long, but I'm also adding the full Step-By-Step below this (just in case you are able to find the PICTURE tab on your version of Handbrake. It's a copy of the edit to my "problem/solution" section at the beginning, just in case you don't see that on your screen. Hope this helps.
xx
xx
*** 1.0.7 Handbrake Version STEP-BY-STEP for conversion from a show on TV to a *.MKV file on a laptop--HERE’S HOW A NON-GEEK GRAMMA DOES IT THE SIMPLE WAY. THOUGHT OTHERS LIKE ME MIGHT BE ABLE TO USE MY STEP-BY-STEP FOR NON-GEEKS TO GET SHOWS FROM the DirectTV Television SCREEN TO *.mkv COMPUTER FILES (on Windows 10 laptop).
****HEADS-UP: This might only work for version 1.0.7 of Handbrake. I’m a real computer “newbie” and I can’t understand even 1/10th of what all you folks are talking about in the forums. But I’ve (through trial and error and lots of light-lady-cussing) figured out how to use the 1.0.7 version of Handbrake (which I love) to get my movies and series episodes from the TV screen onto an *.MKV file on my laptop that plays back beautifully to either the laptop or the TV screen.
***I record my shows from DTV (on my TV) to a DVD-RW Disc (that is in my VCR-to-DVD recorder). Then I finalize the disc (in my DVD recorder). Then I convert them from the disc (in my laptop) to a *.MKV file that plays beautifully on my laptop screen (using GomPlayer) or the TV screen if I use an HDMI cord to connect the TV and the Laptop while the laptop is playing the movie or series episode. This is how I accomplish it using ONLY the PICTURE tab screen.
**** VERY IMPORTANT: REMEMBER TO FINALIZE THE DISK before moving it from the DVD recorder into your laptop to make conversions
****With the disc in your laptop, Open Handbrake It will open to SOURCE SELECTION --- click on the Option Titled: DVD Video Recording – Open this DVD or Bluray Drive
*****It will then open to the PICTURE tab and in that screen, I check (in the TITLE dropdown menu – under SOURCE in the upper left corner) to be sure there are as many titles showing as there were videos on the disc. Keep in mind that Handbrake will list them with it’s own names – not the ones you gave on the disc….but just be sure there are as many as the videos on the disc. If that is correct…
1---Make sure the first title (or any subsequent title you want to convert) is showing in the TITLE dropdown menu.
2---click Super HQ 720p30 Surround and then click Super HQ 1080p30 Surround (for some reason if I just click Super HQ 1080p30 Surround, the process doesn’t work);
3---then change Anamorphic to NONE,
4---Click Aspect Ratio to turned OFF,
5---change width to 980 and Height to 480; and
6---change Container (in Output Settings) to MKV instead of MP4 (my only two choices), then
7---Click AddToQueue
IMPORTANT: This process (#s 1 to 7) has to be done for each video file in the TITLE drop-down menu. Because, you see, if I don’t then once I finish “TITLE” #1 and click into TITLE #2 (found in the source section), the Width on the screen goes back to 720 and even though the screen looks like it accepts the 980 I put back in, if I go to ShowQueue and then float over that file in the queue, it shows that it is actually at 720.
----BUT if I do the entire process (#1-#7) for each file before AddToQueue is clicked for that file, --- my videos convert to *.mkv files that play on my computer screen (using GomPlayer) as a full screen show with everything showing.

Now, most of you high-techy-techy folks probably won’t have any use at all for my method, but I figured I couldn’t be the only “gramma” out there who was struggling to make use of this wonderful conversion tool. I love it now that I know how to use it. Once I reach the point that my funds have dwindled to the point that I cannot afford DirecTV anymore, I’ll have a full year or two of “reruns” in movie and series files that I can watch till I die (which will hopefully be YEARS later), and it’s all thanks to Handbrake. I just wanted the other “gramma’s” out there to know how to do it too, gramma style.
Last edited by BS BS BS on Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
BS BS BS

Post by BS BS BS »

Woodstock wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:35 pm If you're asking for a "step by step", you have given no information to help you.

Hi There Woodstock. :^)
I finally got my Step-By-Step up correctly and so thought I should let you know to check it out, since I have you to thank for alerting me to the fact that I ...
1) Did not get the steps onto the forum as I'd wanted to in the first place and ...
2) Needed to tell people - in the second place - what VERSION of the Handbrake I used, so they would know it might not work for them if they didn't use the same version.

Thanks for your comments earlier. Without them, I wouldn't have known what corrections to make.
Much appreciated, Woodstock.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Wow, that's some heavy cargo culting.
BS BS BS

Post by BS BS BS »

Huh? What does that mean?