Can't detect H.265 QSV encoder when UWD installed

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
nolonar

Can't detect H.265 QSV encoder when UWD installed

Post by nolonar »

I've been ripping all my DVD in order to build my own video library on my NAS.
Yesterday, I saw news that Intel released new graphics drivers. Apparently, these drivers make use of the new UWD (Universal Windows Driver) platform. All non-UWD drivers are now considered "legacy".

Since I like staying up-to-date, I installed those drivers before going to sleep.
Today, I decided to resume ripping my DVDs. However, it seems that Handbrake no longer recognizes the H.265 QSV encoder. I can still access the H.264 QSV encoder, but not the H.265 one, so I've defaulted to x265 instead.

I could revert to the older legacy drivers, but Intel warned that making a mistake could cause minor to major system instability. I'd rather not risk it.
Also, while x265 is slower than QSV, my speed is mostly bottlenecked by my DVD drive, so I'm only losing ~25% speed.

I believe Intel may have made some changes to their API, so maybe you'd like to take a look?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Can't detect H.265 QSV encoder when UWD installed

Post by Woodstock »

Bottleneck reduction - change your work flow. Rip with a ripper (MakeMKV is what I use) to MKV files, then you can queue those up for handbrake and let it work at whatever speed it wants.

Your time is spent in the ripping process (changing disks and such). After that, the computer can deal with it. You remove the need to use the less-efficient hardware encoding stuff, because you are no longer bound by that time.
nolonar

Post by nolonar »

Thanks. I don't often rip stuff, so I haven't put much thought on optimizing my workflow yet. Since I still have lots of DVDs to rip, I'll have a look at MakeMKV later, when my current queue is finished.

I just wanted to say that Handbrake can't detect H.265 QSV with Intel's new UWD drivers.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.

We have no idea what you're really using or doing.
nolonar

Post by nolonar »

Sorry, I didn't think a feature detection problem would have anything to do with the activity log, but here you go:

When it still worked: https://pastebin.com/VGGWxtmw
After it stopped working: https://pastebin.com/ukt2jxe2
The only thing that really changed in between is that I installed Intel's brand new Universal Windows Drivers: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... duct=80939

The only relevant part I can see is where it says: "H.265 encoder: no" instead of "H.265 encoder: yes"

I'm not asking for support, btw. I just thought someone might want to know about it, so it can be fixed.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

nolonar wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:32 pmSorry, I didn't think a feature detection problem would have anything to do with the activity log, but here you go:
It tells us what version/platform you're actually on, what version of the drivers is detected, what features are actually detected, etc etc.

Since you're on the release, try the nightly.
nolonar wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:32 pmI'm not asking for support, btw. I just thought someone might want to know about it, so it can be fixed.
That is, in the most literal sense of the word, asking for support. Which isn't a problem, the HB team just needs information to make efficient use of time.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Hmm, Driver docs seems to suggest it supports but there is 0 mention of it in their upstream media sdk.

I'll need to ping someone at Intel and ask about it. I have a hunch that the required DLL's are no longer available in the place we expect them, or flat out no longer available. Hopefully they have an alternative and haven't sandboxed this.
danielgr

Post by danielgr »

For whatever is worth, I have exactly the same problem.
h264 qsv is working nice, just as for the OP, which means there are no problems with the intel graphics being detected.
And the problem arose after updating to Intel's new UWD drivers.
Had been converting videos with that setting right until that point.

PS: Personally, I encode in H265 with qsv because it's the best quality/(time x energy use) one can get right now.
I hope a fix is released soon.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Can reproduce it but don't see anything obviously wrong in our code so I'm thinking it's a driver bug.
maxim_d33
Bright Spark User

Post by maxim_d33 »

important question: do you have this issue when only iGPU is installed (no other GPU card) ?
nick24

Post by nick24 »

I have this issue with iGPU AND a GPU card installed.

BTW the previously mentioned MediaSDK libraries/files are no longer in ProgramFiles\Intel\MediaSDK. The UWD driver installs these files now in Windows\system32 and Windows\SysWow64.
maxim_d33
Bright Spark User

Post by maxim_d33 »

@nick24 can you *just try* it without GPU card installed?
nick24

Post by nick24 »

@maxim_d33

Im only using one monitor that is attached to the GPU card, and I currently dont have the right cable for attaching the monitor to the iGPU.

With the right cable, would it be sufficient for testing to deactivate the GPU card in device manager, i.e. to not remove the GPU card?
Or could the issue be caused by just having no monitor attached to the iGPU?
maxim_d33
Bright Spark User

Post by maxim_d33 »

@nick24 , it should be ok to have monitor connected to the iGPU
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

If QSV is working in h.264, the encoder hardware isn't "off", even without the monitor attached.

A quick search on Google shows that other software is having trouble seeing h.265 capabilities under the new UWP driver. Maybe they forgot to include that in the driver?
gmb
Bright Spark User

Post by gmb »

I don't have this issue, HEVC encode is working on my HD 630 with the UWP driver. Hardware decoding doesn't seem to work but this is a different matter.
danielgr

Post by danielgr »

maxim_d33 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:41 pm important question: do you have this issue when only iGPU is installed (no other GPU card) ?
I am also among those with a dual GPU setup, and did the check you wanted.
Indeed, it seems there has been a change on how multiple GPU's are handled, which is unfortunate.

Before upgrading to UWP I had both my GTX1080 and my HD630 (i7-7700) iGPU plugged to my monitor, and Windows setup to extend my desktop to both (although effectively I would only display the GTX input).
That setup allowed me use my PC with the GTX1080 and yet still being able to encode with Handbrake using H265 (QSV) without any issues.

Since I upgraded to UWP, H265 (QSV) is detected only when I choose to "display only the iGPU output", which is quite annoying.
Having found this workaround is still better than nothing though; I'll just have to give up on my GTX while encoding.

Let me know if I could do something else to provide you additional feedback.
maxim_d33
Bright Spark User

Post by maxim_d33 »

if you have the issue - can you try to download beta binary from https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d9J70R ... sp=sharing and run in command line as:

Code: Select all

HandBrakeCLI.exe -i any.avi -e qsv_h264 -o remove.m4v
and share the output log please.
fmorariu

Post by fmorariu »

I have tested version 25.20.100.6471 of the Intel UHD drivers using the CLI app and it is indeed using the qsv_h.265 encoder.

The only way the GUI gets access to the same QSV accelated h.265 encoder is if my monitor is connected to the Intel iGPU directly and not my nVidia 2080Ti. With the monitor connected to the nVidia dGPU I only get the NVENC encoders and the h.264 QSV. All QSV encoders work with the CLI version.

Here is the log after running the command you asked using the CLI on GoogleDrive you provided:

Code: Select all

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17763.195]
(c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>cd..

C:\Windows>cd..

C:\>HandBrakeCLI.exe -i any.avi -e qsv_h264 -o remove.m4v
[23:59:22] hb_init: starting libhb thread
[23:59:22] thread 1 started ("libhb")
HandBrake 20181209211556-6dde7da-master (2018121001) - MinGW x86_64 - https://handbrake.fr
12 CPUs detected
Opening any.avi...
[23:59:22] CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz
[23:59:22]  - Intel microarchitecture Kaby Lake
[23:59:22]  - logical processor count: 12
[23:59:22] Intel Quick Sync Video support: yes
[23:59:22]  - Intel Media SDK hardware: API 1.27 (minimum: 1.3)
[23:59:22]  - H.264 encoder: yes
[23:59:22]     - preferred implementation: hardware (any) via D3D11
[23:59:22]     - capabilities (hardware):  breftype icq+la+i+downs vsinfo opt1 opt2+mbbrc+extbrc+trellis+ib_adapt+nmpslice
[23:59:22]  - H.265 encoder: yes (8bit: yes, 10bit: yes)
[23:59:22]     - preferred implementation: hardware (any) via D3D11
[23:59:22]     - capabilities (hardware):  bpyramid icq vsinfo opt1
[23:59:22] hb_scan: path=any.avi, title_index=1
src/libbluray/disc/disc.c:323: failed opening UDF image any.avi
src/libbluray/disc/disc.c:424: error opening file BDMV\index.bdmv
src/libbluray/disc/disc.c:424: error opening file BDMV\BACKUP\index.bdmv
[23:59:22] bd: not a bd - trying as a stream/file instead
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 6.0.0
libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
libdvdread: Can't stat any.avi
No such file or directory
libdvdread: Could not open any.avi
libdvdnav: vm: failed to open/read the DVD
[23:59:22] dvd: not a dvd - trying as a stream/file instead
[23:59:22] hb_stream_open: open any.avi failed
[23:59:22] scan: unrecognized file type
[23:59:22] libhb: scan thread found 0 valid title(s)
No title found.

HandBrake has exited.

C:\>
fmorariu

Post by fmorariu »

I have tested the official 1.2 CLI and it is acting like the UI version. The QSV h.265 encoder is not detected.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

The new driver requires updates in HandBrake to support it so it's something we'll do for the next version.
danielgr

Post by danielgr »

s55 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:03 pm The new driver requires updates in HandBrake to support it so it's something we'll do for the next version.
That's great news, thank you so much for continuous improvement of Handbrake.
I literally couldn't live without it :)