Does comressing variable frame rate video works with handbrake?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
curious_developer

Does comressing variable frame rate video works with handbrake?

Post by curious_developer »

So I have screen records that are recorded at variable frame rate (the screen recorder software produces the videos at variable frame rate). The question is would handbrake comress variable frame rate videos and still export them as variable frame rate. In other words would the videos still be at the same frame rate they were originally? Does variable frame rate compression differ from constant frame rate compression (interms of performance)?
BradleyS

Re: Does comressing variable frame rate video works with handbrake?

Post by BradleyS »

HandBrake's official presets (except production presets) use what we call peak frame rate. PFR is variable frame rate capped with an upper limit, e.g. 30 or 60 FPS, to ensure compatibility.

Check out the video tab. Same as Source, VFR is uncapped VFR, though PFR is usually preferable for compatibility as I mention. Performance is best with these modes.
curious_developer

does this mean that compressing a variable frame rate video will damage the video file or it will stay the same(I mean audio and video will stay in sync and video wont be laggy)? In other words is it okay to compress a variable frame rate video?
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

I feel like you have a limited grasp of what's going on here. And that's okay! HandBrake has done variable frame rate video just fine for a loooooong time. Okay to input, compress, and output, no worries.
curious_developer

Ahh thanks for your reply.