Fixing a DVD-R that has audio out of sync

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
discless
Enlightened

Fixing a DVD-R that has audio out of sync

Post by discless »

Description of problem or question:

Can Handbrake be used to transcode and simultaneously fix a DVD-R that has audio out of sync?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Fixing a DVD-R that has audio out of sync

Post by Woodstock »

Are you certain that the audio is actually out of sync, and not just a problem with your player?

Handbrake has adjustments for (some) subtitle timing. Audio, though, should best be done with an editor.
discless
Enlightened

Post by discless »

I transcoded the DVD using Handbrake and both copies are out of sync. It is a small, subtitle difference.

What adjustments can I use in Handbrake?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
discless
Enlightened

Post by discless »

I am not asking for support on the past use of Handbrake. I want to know how to use Handbrake to put an audio track in sync with its video track when it is slightly off
discless
Enlightened

Post by discless »

Woodstock wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:27 pm Are you certain that the audio is actually out of sync, and not just a problem with your player?

Handbrake has adjustments for (some) subtitle timing. Audio, though, should best be done with an editor.
Yes I am certain it is actually out of sync
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

discless wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:54 pmI am not asking for support on the past use of Handbrake. I want to know how to use Handbrake to put an audio track in sync with its video track when it is slightly off
I see you have not read the linked document at the top of every page.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

It is always better to start with the original than try to fix an already-processed copy.

Handbrake does not have the ability to apply an offset to an audio stream. In most cases, if it comes out out of sync, there was an issue on the source side.

This is where using a video editor comes into play, where you can apply an offset on ANY track, or even speed up/down a track so that it keeps in sync long-term.
discless
Enlightened

Post by discless »

Thank you for your well informed reply Woodstock!
discless
Enlightened

Post by discless »

mduell wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:52 am
discless wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:54 pmI am not asking for support on the past use of Handbrake. I want to know how to use Handbrake to put an audio track in sync with its video track when it is slightly off
I see you have not read the linked document at the top of every page.
Can't have an activity report when there is no use of Handbrake to begin with, due to asking a generic question. Thank you for your response.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Woodstock wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:44 amHandbrake does not have the ability to apply an offset to an audio stream.
Except where it does.
discless
Enlightened

Post by discless »

mduell wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:37 pm
Woodstock wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:44 amHandbrake does not have the ability to apply an offset to an audio stream.
Except where it does.
Are you holding back the solution out of spite?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

discless wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:11 pm
Except where it does.
No, but without the details I can't even tell if you've already tried HB's limited abilities to fix your issue.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

discless wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:31 pm I transcoded the DVD using Handbrake and both copies are out of sync. It is a small, subtitle difference.

What adjustments can I use in Handbrake?
mduell wrote: An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
discless wrote: I am not asking for support on the past use of Handbrake. I want to know how to use Handbrake to put an audio track in sync with its video track when it is slightly off
You had a past use of HandBrake that didn't produce the result you expected or wanted. You *think* the solution is to manually adjust audio timing. HandBrake can't do this, so if this is the only solution you are willing to entertain you'll need to go elsewhere. But there are other things, aside from a broken source file, that can cause the sync issue that you may not be considering. A log would allow us to rule those things out.
discless
Enlightened

Post by discless »

The audio is out of sync on the DVD as played on my DVD player and my BluRay player and in both DVD Player and MPEG Streamclip on my Mac.

I misspoke when I discussed the past use of Handbrake.

My question is whether or not when transcoding with Handbrake, there is the ability to adjust the audio and video tracks so as to sync them up. Your answer appears to be "no." Thank you.
Last edited by discless on Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
discless
Enlightened

Post by discless »

mduell wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:17 pm
Except where it does.
No, but without the details I can't even tell if you've already tried HB's limited abilities to fix your issue.
I have not tried HB; I misspoke.

Are you still unwilling to share your knowledge?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

You should try encoding your dvd with HB then post your log.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

discless wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:43 pm
mduell wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:17 pm
Except where it does.
I have not tried HB; I misspoke.

Are you still unwilling to share your knowledge?
Then you should try HB and see if the defaults fix it. And then post a log if they don't.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Please read https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.1.0/help ... y-log.html for why Activity Logs are required for support.

Nobody is holding back information. As John notes, any further analysis requires a log. Your general question has been answered. Locking.