Cannot open an SMB share from Handbrake.

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
TrogdorMenoo

Post by TrogdorMenoo »

Description of problem or question:

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
I followed these instructions to mount an SMB share to the OS - https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic. ... 8#p1550418. That was successful as the share appeared in LibreOffice Write and I could read/write to it. However, in Handbrake, the share will not appear nor does it respond to smb:\\ The button is always grayed out.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
1.1.2 (x86_64)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Linux Mint 18 64x bit

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

[15:09:16] gtkgui: HandBrake 1.1.2 (2018090700) - Linux x86_64 - https://handbrake.fr
[15:09:17] hb_init: starting libhb thread

(ghb:3): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_connection_signal_subscribe: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed

Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Cannot open an SMB share from Handbrake.

Post by Woodstock »

If you mount the shared resource, is it still inaccessible?
TrogdorMenoo

Post by TrogdorMenoo »

Woodstock wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:17 pm If you mount the shared resource, is it still inaccessible?
Pardon my ignorance, I don't understand what that means. I just came from being a Windows user so the terminology is different.

I followed the instructions in the aforementioned instructions (e.g. through Nautilus by creating a bookmark). I also created a link to a Samba share using the command line. That file system reference now appears under /mnt (but not in Nautilus).
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

The link you provided does not give instructions on how to mount an SMB share. It is a link to another support request you made on another forum. I don't know how you are mounting your SMB drive.

Can you please first verify that you got your version of HandBrake from our PPA? https://launchpad.net/~stebbins/+archiv ... e-releases
Ubuntu distributes a broken build in their official repository.

I'll step through what I just did to mount an smb share and scan a file with HandBrake.
  1. Start gnome file manager
  2. Select "Other Locations" at the lower left in the locations pane
  3. At the bottom of the main pane there should be a "Connect to Server" entry box. Type your smb share location in the entry box. e.g. smb://host/sharename
  4. You should get a popup to enter your login credentials for the share. Provide credentials and connect.
  5. Verify that the share now appears in the left hand locations pane.
  6. Start ghb
  7. Select "Open Source"
  8. Your share should be visible in the same location in the left pane as you observed it in gnome file manager.
  9. Click on the share location in the left pane and navigate to the file you want to scan.
Alternatively, you can do steps 2 through 4 all within ghb's "Open Source" dialog. It also has the "Other Locations" selection at the bottom of the left hand locations pane.

If this isn't working, then you must have some kind of problem with your gnome installation. This works for me even for "shares" that I have "mounted" across the internet (e.g. my nextcloud host).
TrogdorMenoo

Post by TrogdorMenoo »

JohnAStebbins wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:40 pm The link you provided does not give instructions on how to mount an SMB share. It is a link to another support request you made on another forum. I don't know how you are mounting your SMB drive.

Can you please first verify that you got your version of HandBrake from our PPA? https://launchpad.net/~stebbins/+archiv ... e-releases
Ubuntu distributes a broken build in their official repository.

I'll step through what I just did to mount an smb share and scan a file with HandBrake.
  1. Start gnome file manager
  2. Select "Other Locations" at the lower left in the locations pane
  3. At the bottom of the main pane there should be a "Connect to Server" entry box. Type your smb share location in the entry box. e.g. smb://host/sharename
  4. You should get a popup to enter your login credentials for the share. Provide credentials and connect.
  5. Verify that the share now appears in the left hand locations pane.
  6. Start ghb
  7. Select "Open Source"
  8. Your share should be visible in the same location in the left pane as you observed it in gnome file manager.
  9. Click on the share location in the left pane and navigate to the file you want to scan.
Alternatively, you can do steps 2 through 4 all within ghb's "Open Source" dialog. It also has the "Other Locations" selection at the bottom of the left hand locations pane.

If this isn't working, then you must have some kind of problem with your gnome installation. This works for me even for "shares" that I have "mounted" across the internet (e.g. my nextcloud host).
Thanks for your thorough explanation. I believe I isolated the issue (now also posted on the aforementioned link). Basically I had installed a 1.0.0 release. I had to visit the Ubuntu distro page to install the PPA repository. None of it made any sense to a newly converted Windows guy so it took me 3 different installs to finally get the right one. In any case, the link now appears and I'm able to browse the file system.

Thanks for your help and sorry for the false alarm.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Thanks for your help and sorry for the false alarm.
Your welcome. Good to hear you got it sorted out.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

I read your follow-up in that other forum. You've actually uncovered a bug in my flatpak builds :oops:

Long story, but short answer is the flatpak build is missing a module that allows it to access network shares. I'm working adding the necessary module to the flatpak, so in the future this will be fixed there as well.

Thanks! :mrgreen:
TrogdorMenoo

Post by TrogdorMenoo »

JohnAStebbins wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:29 pm I read your follow-up in that other forum. You've actually uncovered a bug in my flatpak builds :oops:

Long story, but short answer is the flatpak build is missing a module that allows it to access network shares. I'm working adding the necessary module to the flatpak, so in the future this will be fixed there as well.

Thanks! :mrgreen:
Also, I'm super confused as to what version there is to use. In Windows and Mac environments, there's just the one download. So far I've found 4 different Linux versions and I can't get any of them to work properly... I'm about to post another possible bug report....

Thanks for your help!
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

There are 3 official release packages
  1. The PPA for Ubuntu based systems
    https://launchpad.net/~stebbins/+archiv ... e-releases
  2. A flatpak bundle that can be downloaded from our download page
    https://handbrake.fr/rotation.php?file= ... 64.flatpak
  3. Flathub
    https://flathub.org/apps/details/fr.handbrake.ghb
Eventually I want to discontinue the PPA and direct everyone to the flatpaks. Flatpaks are a containerized format that allows the executable to be run on any linux distribution. But as you can see, the flatpak is new and may not quite be ready.

There are also snapshot builds that we supply that are previews to the next release.
https://handbrake.fr/nightly.php

There are numerous unofficial builds created by the various linux distributions out there. They are almost all universally broken. The repository maintainers for the distributions refuse to build HandBrake the way we specify and their changes always break something.