lack of understanding on my part

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
hc48

lack of understanding on my part

Post by hc48 »

I have a MacBook and a MacBook Pro. Handbrake does an amazing job on the Pro but on the MacBook it fails miserably with messages appearing on my iPod that it can't read the translated files and wont load them.

Is there a setting or something that I am missing and need to rework?
PuzZLeR
Bright Spark User

Post by PuzZLeR »

Am I the only one that finds this post confusing?

Do you mean
a) that HandBrake doesn't encode the files properly on the Macbook?
-OR-
b) files that worked on the Macbook Pro don't load into iPod from your Macbook?
-OR-
c) something I don't understand.

If it's a) and you're using the same settings for both, then quite simply, the Macbook can't handle higher level codecs like H.264.

If it's b) then this is not a HandBrake issue.

If it's c) then I apologize. I, and maybe others, need a few more details to help you.
hc48

Post by hc48 »

Sorry for the confusion.

I have a MacBook Pro, my best bud has a MacBook that he just purchased.

The intent was to be able to make an MPEG4 file from some DVDs to put on a new iPod Touch.

The files translated by the MacBook Pro run well. The same files translated on the MacBook don't work at all.

From what you are stating, I guess the MacBook hasn't the brain power to translate as well as the MacBook Pro and won't make the iPod Touch files needed.

Would that be a correct summation?
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

I can't imagine that any MacBook wouldn't be able to encode an h264 iPod ready file at a decent speed. Remeber all MacBooks have at least an Intel Core Duo 1,86 GHz.

@hc48
What didn't work with he resulting File? Did HandBrake crash? weren't you able to play the file with iTunes/QuickTime? Weren't you able to transfer it to the touch?
hc48

Post by hc48 »

It plays on iTunes but won't transfer to the Touch. The error code says that the Touch can't play this particular video. This lead me to believe it to be a setting issue.
baggss

Post by baggss »

hc48 wrote:It plays on iTunes but won't transfer to the Touch. The error code says that the Touch can't play this particular video. This lead me to believe it to be a setting issue.
Agreed. What settings did you use?
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

make sure encoder is set to "x264(h.264 iPod)". if not, it will not transfer to an iPod.
CavemanUK

Post by CavemanUK »

Agreed.. If it works on the MBP and not on the MB then you have different settings configured. If your using a custom preset, you could copy the details or even copy the presets from ~/library/application support/handbrake