Hello everyone, I am trying to rip an old dvd(480p SD quality, VOB files) in mkv but I'm having a few questions regarding deinterlace, detelecine and other settings. I want to achieve high quality and small file size(~1300 avg kbps but using CRF for better quality) by using the slow or slower x264 preset, High Profile. My questions are the following(hope the mediainfo code below helps)(in descending order of importance if you dont have the time to answer them all):
1) is it better to leave video interlaced and the simply let vlc/mpc automatically deinterlace or should I encode with deinterlace?
2) Does the video need deinterlace and if so is decomb good at default settings? I want to achieve high quality and wouldn't mind using a slower but higher quality option. Should i use the EEDI2bob preset for decomb or something else or should i use yadif and if so which preset offers best quality?
3) does the video need detelecine?
4) when hoping for small file size should i use level 3 or 3.1 for small file size but high quality?
5) Is there any meaningful difference in quality when using slower instead of slow preset?(despite the lower encoding speed)
6) should i set it at constant or variable frame rate mode (same as source)?(will be using PC for playback so probably wont have compatibility issues)
7) Will the encode benefit(or worsen quality)by using a x264 tune(film)? It is an old 90s movie, real life footage with no CGI and moderate grain.
what audio mixdown should i choose in order to maintain original channels(at AAC 192 kbps)?
9) do general HQ and super HQ presets produce better results than MKV presets(modified to match preset and CRF value as general HQ preset)? Does the extra options: "ref=5:bframes=5" offer better quality in the super HQ preset?
Thanks for your help and I'm sorry for the inundation of questions.
HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Code: Select all
General Format : MPEG-PS Overall bit rate mode : Constant Overall bit rate : 7 025 kb/s Video Format : MPEG Video Format version : Version 2 Format profile : Main@Main Format settings : CustomMatrix / BVOP Format settings, BVOP : Yes Format settings, Matrix : Custom Format settings, GOP : Variable Format settings, picture st : Frame Bit rate mode : Constant Bit rate : 6 500 kb/s Width : 720 pixels Height : 480 pixels Display aspect ratio : 4:3 Frame rate : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS Standard : NTSC Color space : YUV Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 Bit depth : 8 bits Scan type : Interlaced Scan order : Top Field First Compression mode : Lossy Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.628 Time code source : Group of pictures header GOP, Open/Closed : Open GOP, Open/Closed of first f : Closed Audio Format : AC-3 Format/Info : Audio Coding 3 Commercial name : Dolby Digital Muxing mode : DVD-Video Bit rate mode : Constant Bit rate : 384 kb/s Channel(s) : 5 channels Channel layout : L R C Ls Rs Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz Frame rate : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF) Bit depth : 16 bits Compression mode : Lossy Stream size : 56.0 MiB (5%) Service kind : Complete Main