Can Handbrake rip DVDs to a directory format?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Doomster

Can Handbrake rip DVDs to a directory format?

Post by Doomster »

Description of problem or question:
Can Handbrake rip a DVD and instead of making a MP4 or MKV file, create a directory that has the same layout as the DVD?

In other words, if I rip the DVD "Speed" using Handbrake, can Handbrake create a directory, have a sub-directory called VIDEO_TS, and under VIDEO_TS, have the files from the DVD placed here?

I looked at the Wiki but I can't find any answers about this.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
N/A

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
Version 1.1.1

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 7, 64-bit
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Can Handbrake rip DVDs to a directory format?

Post by s55 »

Nope, afraid not. HandBrake isn't a DVD ripper, it's a transcoder. You'd want something like MakeMKV.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

s55 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:20 amYou'd want something like MakeMKV.
That won't work either, it makes MKV files, not straight rips.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

To do a DVD "just like a DVD" requires something that will create an ISO file. Such programs rarely do any compression, although there are a few commercial ones that say they will. And most do not even offer to decrypt the video for you.

One of the problems is that "just like a DVD" also means DVD-level compression, so you gain nothing over having the full-size ISO file available.
Doomster

Post by Doomster »

Woodstock wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:21 pm To do a DVD "just like a DVD" requires something that will create an ISO file. Such programs rarely do any compression, although there are a few commercial ones that say they will. And most do not even offer to decrypt the video for you.

One of the problems is that "just like a DVD" also means DVD-level compression, so you gain nothing over having the full-size ISO file available.
Woodstock,

I am ripping my DVD collection into file formats, storing it on my NAS, and playing it via Kodi on Amazon Fire.

Kodi can play an MKV/MP4 file without any problems. However, if I rip the DVD as a directory, Kodi plays the ripped files as a DVD. This means I can navigate the menu, change subtitles, see the Extras or Special Features, etc.

I cannot do that with just an MKV or MP4 file. That's why I want to have Handbrake rip the DVD into a directory.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Kodi allows you to change languages and subtitles on MKV files. Extras and be saved as separate file, for the most part. The interface is different. If you had never seen a DVD menu, you might not view it in a positive light compared to Kodi.

Do you watch the extras often? Often enough to permanently allocate extra storage space to preserve them? Then the ISO route is your best bet, since the menu structure is preserved.

Reality is that preserving them "exactly like a DVD" isn't a high priority for everyone. For myself, for example, the extras are something I watch while the main movie (or TV series) is being encoded, and then they're deleted. This is where a dedicated ripping program comes in handy - you get the ripping part out of the way quickly, then have time to do whatever you want, while handbrake compresses what is important to you.

I can't remember anyone telling me, "Man, you HAVE to buy XXXXX! The extras are INCREDIBLE!"
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Rodeo wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:44 pm
s55 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:20 amYou'd want something like MakeMKV.
That won't work either, it makes MKV files, not straight rips.
Nope, it does decyrpted full disk backups too. https://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/4
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

mduell wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:31 pmNope, it does decyrpted full disk backups too. https://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/4
Can s/Handbrake/MakeMKV rip DVDs to a directory format? No.