Introduce An Advance To Audio Track

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
cas1701

Introduce An Advance To Audio Track

Post by cas1701 »

How do I introduce an advance to an audio track?:

Hi All,
This is my first post on the forum, but have been using HandBrake for a few years now. I really love what it can do and it has served me well.

As most if not all of you will be asking, why would I want to deliberately add an advance to an audio track? Let me explain. Also, I've looked through the forum for an answer but haven't found anything.

I rip any blurays and DVDs I have into the MKV format using MakeMKV. Generally speaking it's only the main feature or TV series episodes that I rip. I then change them into MP4 using HB. I always have 2 audio tracks, the first being a downmix to AAC (Dolby Pro Logic II) and the second is a passthru of the original audio, be that DTS, AC3 etc. The resulting MP4 videos are for my own personal consumption and are not distributed in anyway, uploaded, or sold.

The reason I ask about adding an advance, is that I want to add a third track with a small audio advance because I have a pair of Bluetooth headphones, and as is the way with Bluetooth, the audio is lagging behind the video and is out of sync with the video being shown on my TV. I can't adjust the video or audio in any way on the TV to get them back into sync, so I'm left with the problem of creating another track in HB that will take care of the sync issue. By adding the advance I'm looking to counteract the delay introduced by the Bluetooth process, and therefore watch the video with the audio now in sync via the headphones. The advance will need to be 166.6 milliseconds.

Does anyone know of a way to introduce an audio advance in HB?

When answering please bear in mind that although I have been using HandBrake for some time, I'm not familiar with the most advanced features of it, so uncomplicated answers would be appreciated.

HandBrake version: 1.1.1
Operating system and version: Windows 7 Pro
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Introduce An Advance To Audio Track

Post by s55 »

Short answer: This isn't possible with HandBrake. You'd need to use more advanced tools that do support this kind of thing.
cas1701

Post by cas1701 »

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me so soon and your reply. As that's the case with HandBrake, can you suggest anything that I may use to do what I want?
cas1701

Post by cas1701 »

Thinking about this another way then, were I to add a second audio track that is synced with the video, could I then delay both the video and first audio track by 166.6ms in HandBrake so that that advance comes about that way?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

You really need a video editor to do this.
cas1701

Post by cas1701 »

Ah well, looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and get one. Thanks for all the input though.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Yamb/mp4Box or ffmpeg will do this.
That said, chasing Bluetooth latency in the file is like chasing fireflies. Sometimes you catch one...