Help choosing the right RF for H265

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
ekubo856

Help choosing the right RF for H265

Post by ekubo856 »

My question is how to chose the right RF values for H265 codec.
So far i only get the best result with high bit rate file using RF 22, the output file size varying from 75% to 25% of the original file size with the same quality which is amazing. But when i try to encode lower bit rate video(<2000) with the same RF value, the output file are always bigger than the original and the bit rate is higher than the original file. any tips on choosing the right RF value?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Help choosing the right RF for H265

Post by Woodstock »

Choosing bit rate and a Constant Quality RF two different things; you cannot use both at the same time.

If you want a lower bit rate, increase the RF value; The bit rate will drop. If you select a bit rate, the RF values is ignored.
ekubo856

Re: Help choosing the right RF for H265

Post by ekubo856 »

Woodstock wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:58 pm Choosing bit rate and a Constant Quality RF two different things; you cannot use both at the same time.

If you want a lower bit rate, increase the RF value; The bit rate will drop. If you select a bit rate, the RF values is ignored.
The bit rate that i was talking about is for the source files. when i converting high bitrate video the file size reduced significantly but when i convert a lower bitrate video the file size is bigger than the source file. but now after trial and error i found out that RF 23 is suitable for lower bitrate video so now i can get the result i want. thanks for your response