Slow Hanbrake Performance

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
BradM73

Slow Hanbrake Performance

Post by BradM73 »

Hello all,

So recently it seems like my Handbrake encoding time has dramatically increased.

I currently use OBS to record gaming videos at 2560 x1440 @ 30fps at a 45000 bitrate.

I then use Handbrake to encode the files as well as resize them from 1440p to 1080p as my current editor doesn't like 1440p resolution.

I open the file in Handbrake, using the "Fast 1080p 30" preset under "General". I then click on the Video tab and set the constant quality to 10 RF, and then choose my destination file and name, and run the encoding process.

Previously an hour long video would take between 15 and 20 minutes to render (approximately), sometimes maybe a bit more. But recently, it seems like the past month or two, the videos of this length are taking more like 40 to 50 minutes to full render, dramatically increasing the time of my workflow.

My CPU is an Intel i7 5960X, and CPU usage is maxed during the encoding process.

My question is, is there a better preset I should be using? Or what other factors could contribute to such an increase in render times? Would switching to the "Very Fast 1080p 30" preset make a difference? I've been using Handbrake for about 5 years now, and honestly am fairly ignorant when it comes to what all of the presets mean. If there is a better guide somewhere to read about the settings, feel free to post, but honestly I haven't found much that offers anything more than a VERY basic description of what the presets actually do.

Mainly though, I'm wondering why my encoding times might have increased so dramatically. Any ideas?

Thanks.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Slow Hanbrake Performance

Post by mduell »

It's very likely you're picking different setttings than you did previously. Post your activity logs from "before" and now, and we'll be happy to point out the differences.

For your purpose you are likely better off with the Production Handbrake presets, adjusted for your speed preference via encoder preset.
BradM73

Post by BradM73 »

Looking through the activity log, it looks like the last log I have prior to when I started having the issue shows the Preset to "very fast". What changes between Fast 1080p 30 and Very Fast 1080p 30?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Speed, at the very least.

Post the logs and we'll point out the differences.