Error: invalid preset format

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
bjs.pdx

Error: invalid preset format

Post by bjs.pdx »

I just installed the current version on an Ubuntu 14.04 system and when I try to start it, handbrake starts and immediately stops. I see the following error in the log:

Code: Select all

[23:16:31] gtkgui: HandBrake 1.1.0 (2018041000) - Linux x86_64 - https://handbrake.fr
[23:16:31] Error: invalid preset format in presets_do()
[23:16:31] hb_init: starting libhb thread
[23:16:32] Plist parse error:  Start tag expected, '<' not found

[23:16:32] Error: invalid preset format in presets_do()
[23:16:32] Last error repeated 4 times
[23:16:32] Plist parse failed
[23:16:32] Error: invalid preset format in presets_do()

(ghb:16844): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_file_new_for_path: assertion 'path != NULL'
 failed

(ghb:16844): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_file_query_info: assertion 'G_IS_FILE (file
)' failed

(ghb:16844): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (o
bject)' failed

(ghb:16844): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_file_new_for_path: assertion 'path != NULL'

Any suggestions? I've tried removing and reinstalling. Have the same version running on 16.04 without issues.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Error: invalid preset format

Post by mduell »

Upgrade to the latest release, which may require updating your 4+ year old OS.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

What was your previous version? It may be that the presets from the old version are still being read in, and they're not in the current format.
bjs.pdx

Post by bjs.pdx »

I'm not ready to upgrade the OS at this point. I will eventually, but that doesn't really address the problem. I have since uninstalled handbrake using apt-get purge and then deleted the .config/ghb directory and reinstalled. Now I get the following error:

Code: Select all

(ghb:4347): Gtk-CRITICAL **: _gtk_cell_layout_buildable_add_child: assertion 'GTK_IS_CELL_RENDERER (child)' failed
Aborted (core dumped)
Handbrake never starts. Searching for the error didn't give me any results.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Looks like your configuration data including presets may be corrupt. Instructions for clearing it are here: https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.1.0/help ... ssues.html