Intel Quick Sync

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
plexuser

Intel Quick Sync

Post by plexuser »

Description of problem or question:
I use the CLI Version and i can't find the option how to activate Intel Quick Sync (QSV) ?

HandBrake version: 1.1.1 CLI Linux Version

Operating system and version:
Debian 9.5
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Intel Quick Sync

Post by s55 »

It's an experimental feature so is only accessible when you compile from source with --enable-qsv and you have the MediaSDK-2018-Q2.1 pack installed.

Note, Debian kernel may also be too old to support this feature if they've not updated it recently. So that may need a manual upgrade too.

It's just another encoder in the lost, so -e h264_qsv (after the above is sorted)
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

s55 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:04 pmIt's just another encoder in the lost, so -e h264_qsv (after the above is sorted)
qsv_h264 ;)

h264_qsv is the decoder.
plexuser

Post by plexuser »

Thank You!
It's great, a little performance increase is always nice :)
Do you know when the next release with Quick Sync will be released for Debian and is it possible that there will be a additional performance boost in comparison to this beta, becuase i don't have results like this: https://www.zdnet.de/wp-content/uploads ... chmark.jpg
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Debian is not a platform we support. If your using the debian multi-media builds, then you should be warned we've blacklisted those:
https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.1.0/get- ... brake.html (see note about broken 3rd party builds)

I'm not sure if debian supports flatpak yet but that will be the only method of using an official build of HandBrake on that platform (unless you compile from source).

No ETA on taking experimental flag off Quicksync.

The hardware is set in stone so no, don't expect any performance boosts.
plexuser

Post by plexuser »

Okay so do you think if i switch to ubuntu i will get better performance ?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Unless something is broken about your setup, you wouldn't see any real performance improvement.