Enable Intel QSV in version 1.1.0

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
secondn8ture

Enable Intel QSV in version 1.1.0

Post by secondn8ture »

Description of problem or question:
Intel Quck Sync is not available in video tab in Ubuntu 16.04. Release notes for 1.1.0 mentions QSV support is experimental and a specific Intel driver is required. Which specific driver is required and how do I enable QSV?
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: Enable Intel QSV in version 1.1.0

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Ubuntu binary releases are not built with QSV support. In theory, HandBrake on *nix can be built with QSV support enabled. But I have never done this myself.

Given the number of support requests/issues we get for the windows builds with QSV, I'm not in any hurry to enable QSV in Ubuntu builds.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

At some point I'll try write up some instructions to get this "working" but it's a little involved and requires compiling from source. Hence "Experimental"
secondn8ture

Post by secondn8ture »

Thanks for the quick reply. Installing from source is no problem, just need to know if there is anything specific I need to do outside of the usual configure/make/make install process to get QSV enabled.
veysey

Post by veysey »

Thank you for the replies on this thread. I'll also look forward to a writeup whenever possible. In particular, I'm curious as to whether handbrake uses the intel mediasdk or the va-api interface to access QSV GPU encoding functions.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

MediaSDK, though IIRC MSDK leverages vaapi for decoding (but not encoding?).