Subtitles - font, font size and position

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
tetanusot

Subtitles - font, font size and position

Post by tetanusot »

Hi
Handbrake is awesome.
I don't wanna sound arrogant but is it so hard to add a few options when burning in the subtitles, like font, font size and position?
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Subtitles - font, font size and position

Post by s55 »

Who said anything about it being hard?

Reason why features don't exist can include

1. Not in the scope of this project.
2. Lack of developer interest.
3. Lack of user interest / demand.
4. Feature is classified as niche and would add bloat to the application.
5. Sometimes it is difficult, but it's not right to assume that is is up front.
6. Can be managed by another app or different method in a better way.
7. The feature just doesn't make sense in the context of what HandBrake does.

among others.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

tetanusot wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:43 pmHandbrake is awesome.
I don't wanna sound arrogant but is it so hard to add a few options when burning in the subtitles, like font, font size and position?
Handbrake is open source.
I look forward to your proposed patch, implementing this feature on all 4 interfaces.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

There is already an open issue regarding enhanced font size settings https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/issues/146

This feature, if implemented, would have a lot of confusing caveats.
  • Position could only be changed when the source is SRT, or TX3G and the output file format is SSA in Matroska container or when burning the subtitles into the video. No other output subtitle format supported by HandBrake supports setting a subtitle position. And no other source format supported by HandBrake is text (i.e. not bitmap) and doesn't have embedded position information that shouldn't be overridden.
  • Size could be only be changed with SSA+Matroska, tx3g+MP4 output, or burning the subtitle into the video. For SSA sources only default size can be changed. Embedded size tags should not be meddled with. CC, TX3G, and SRT sources could also have their size modified.
  • Position when source is SSA can't be changed because SSA has inline position tags that should not be overridden.
  • DVD and BD subtitles can not be changed in any container or when burning into the video. These are bitmap based subtitles that can't be modified.
I'm sure there are more caveats that I'm just not thinking of yet. Subtitles are messy. It's best to use a dedicated subtitle editor to get best results.
tetanusot

Post by tetanusot »

s55 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:33 pm Who said anything about it being hard?

Reason why features don't exist can include

1. Not in the scope of this project.
2. Lack of developer interest.
3. Lack of user interest / demand.
4. Feature is classified as niche and would add bloat to the application.
5. Sometimes it is difficult, but it's not right to assume that is is up front.
6. Can be managed by another app or different method in a better way.
7. The feature just doesn't make sense in the context of what HandBrake does.

among others.
Thanks for your insight.

1, 7 somewhat valid but it can be countered with why is there an option for burning in in the first place?
2 valid
3 cannot be precisly determined
4 subjective
5 ok
6 i searched my bottom off and couldn't find an easy tool to import a srt to a video and change font, font size, position before hardocding it
any program in mind?
mduell wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:44 pm Handbrake is open source.
I look forward to your proposed patch, implementing this feature on all 4 interfaces.
Thanks for your insight.
I was expecting an answer like this.
I don't have enough knowledge.
And this can be countered with "why are you implying that it is easy then" and then you have to read again my sentence and I'm emphasising the word enough.
JohnAStebbins wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:26 pm There is already an open issue regarding enhanced font size settings https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/issues/146

This feature, if implemented, would have a lot of confusing caveats.
  • Position could only be changed when the source is SRT, or TX3G and the output file format is SSA in Matroska container or when burning the subtitles into the video. No other output subtitle format supported by HandBrake supports setting a subtitle position. And no other source format supported by HandBrake is text (i.e. not bitmap) and doesn't have embedded position information that shouldn't be overridden.
  • Size could be only be changed with SSA+Matroska, tx3g+MP4 output, or burning the subtitle into the video. For SSA sources only default size can be changed. Embedded size tags should not be meddled with. CC, TX3G, and SRT sources could also have their size modified.
  • Position when source is SSA can't be changed because SSA has inline position tags that should not be overridden.
  • DVD and BD subtitles can not be changed in any container or when burning into the video. These are bitmap based subtitles that can't be modified.
I'm sure there are more caveats that I'm just not thinking of yet. Subtitles are messy. It's best to use a dedicated subtitle editor to get best results.
Thanks a lot!