Handling Mixed Telecine for Consistent Framerate

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Deleted User 36417

Handling Mixed Telecine for Consistent Framerate

Post by Deleted User 36417 »

If I have a telecined DVD source for a TV show and choose detelecine, the framerate ends up being variable depending on the segment of the file. Is there a way to tell Handbrake to drop the extra frames in the 29.97i sections so I can set the framerate to 23.97p?
Last edited by Deleted User 36417 on Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Handling Mixed Telecine for Consistent Cramerate

Post by mduell »

Please be aware, this forum is not for support or help related to HandBrake. Please keep such discussions to the Community Support forum sections.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Handling Mixed Telecine for Consistent Framerate

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
Deleted User 36417

Sure, but I haven't quite run into a bug. I was looking more for guidance on the best approach. I can run a few tests and post those logs. Really appreciate the help!

Perhaps a key related question - If I force a lower framerate, is the video slowed down or are frames dropped?
rollin_eng wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:57 am Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Frames dropped.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

If you want a constant framerate without dropped frames, you would have to set the framerate to 119.88 which is divisible by both 29.97 (factor of 4) and 23.976 (factor of 5). HandBrake doesn't have this specific framerate, but it does have 120 which is very close. Even though the framerate is much higher, the resulting file size won't be that much bigger. Video encoders are really good at compressing duplicate frames. Your player may have trouble keeping up with the framerate however.
Deleted User 36417

Thank you, this is actually my intended goal
Woodstock wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:35 pm Frames dropped.
This is good to know, but I would suspect the use case would be to create a slow motion effect, which could likely be done more easily through a NLE tool. In my case, I wanted to create constant frame-rate video with mixed telecine and ensure that the 29.97i portions are not slowed down.
JohnAStebbins wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:13 pm If you want a constant framerate without dropped frames, you would have to set the framerate to 119.88 which is divisible by both 29.97 (factor of 4) and 23.976 (factor of 5). HandBrake doesn't have this specific framerate, but it does have 120 which is very close. Even though the framerate is much higher, the resulting file size won't be that much bigger. Video encoders are really good at compressing duplicate frames. Your player may have trouble keeping up with the framerate however.
Thanks everybody :D
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

If you want more than drop/dupe behavior, download Twixtor trial.