Segfault nearly every time during encode (Ubuntu 18.04)

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
hamakei

Segfault nearly every time during encode (Ubuntu 18.04)

Post by hamakei »

Description of problem or question:

Message to stderr: "Segmentation fault (core dumped)"

Handbrake now always crashes to desktop with a segmentation fault about 8 out of 10 times during encode. x264, x265...DVD or ISO...anything. Don't seem to be able to narrow it down. Sometimes when restarting the same encode after a crash it'll sail through with no problems.
Problem seems to be tied to recent upgrade to Ubuntu 18.04. This may just be a coincidence, though I encoded several files last week with no problems before the upgrade.

Steps to reproduce the problem:

Add an item. Start encoding. Crash happens at end of first pass
HandBrake version:

Tried:
Handbrake 1.0.4
Handbrake 1.1.0
20180605211348-2a2d334-master (x86_64)

All with same result.

Operating system and version:

Ubuntu 18.04 Kernel 4.15.0-22-generic from Wed May 16 12:15:17

HandBrake Activity Log

Activity Log up to point of crash: https://pastebin.com/TtC1Gkcf
Last edited by hamakei on Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Segfault nearly every time during encode (Ubuntu 18.04)

Post by mduell »

Did you get HB from the Ubuntu software center or the jstebbins PPA?
hamakei

Post by hamakei »

PPA
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

HandBrake does not work with copy protection. Please have a look at https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/int ... about.html
hamakei

Post by hamakei »

That's as maybe, but it's outside the scope of this problem. I'm also not sure why CSS is showing up in the Activity log, because if I pass the exact same ISO to "DVD Shrink", it reports that the disc is unencrypted. If I play the same ISO on a machine which doesn't have libdvdcss2 installed, it plays fine. Everything plays it like an unencrypted disc. Only Handbrake seems to think it is encrypted.

But if you notice, the key extraction always took a time of '0'

==

...I've just installed Handbrake on a completely fresh install of Ubuntu 18.04 on an independent laptop with a completely different CPU, GPU and hardware configuration....and it ALSO segfaults during encodes.

Is it something to do with the libraries Ubuntu 18.04 ships with?

The first couple of conversions worked fine...it wasn't until the one initialised at line 209 that it had problems...

https://pastebin.com/TV18tj7D

==

Aaanddd....I've installed Handbrake 1.1.0 on a Windows 7 64-bit machine and run it with the exact same settings on the same images...and it worked perfectly. This does suggest that either there is something wrong with the Ubuntu builds, or if there's something new with Ubuntu 18.04 which is causing it to have a fit...

==

I've just spent a couple of hours watching Handbrake (I don't recommend it as a way to pass the time) and the crash always seems to happen in between pass 1 and 2...pass 1 completes, the status bar changes to "Pass 2 0.0%" and then it segfaults.
Last edited by hamakei on Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
hamakei

Post by hamakei »

Hmm. There does seem to be a common pattern...

If I try and re-encode a DVD with a single main title, like a movie, 99% of the time it works fine.

But if I try and re-encode a DVD with multiple titles, like a TV show, it's almost always guaranteed to fail.
Last edited by hamakei on Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
hamakei

Post by hamakei »

[message removed]