Encoding ETA over 18 hours? (Vista)

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
erinlein

Encoding ETA over 18 hours? (Vista)

Post by erinlein »

I've never had problems with Handbrake before using all of the automatic settings, but somehow on my new computer it started out with an ETA of 1h34m or so and slowly creeped up to 8 hours. Then I tried restarting the encode and it starts off saying that the ETA is over 18 hrs. It's not completely frozen, but it's very very very slow. :cry:

Downloaded normal Windows GUI, running as administrator, bitrate 1000, h.264(ipod)/aac.

Any ideas? Pls point me in the right direction if this isn't a new topic, I couldn't find it in previous threads.
stmiller
Novice

Post by stmiller »

H.264 does take a long time, and depends on how fast your processor is. What are the specs of your machine? If the processor is single core, and under 2Ghz, those times are about average from what others have posted.

You can disable deinterlacing, and mess around with other settings to find what works best on your system.

FYI: You should post Windows questions in the Windows forum section.
PuzZLeR
Bright Spark User

Post by PuzZLeR »

The reason your readings are showing a faster ETA at the start is mostly mathematics. Your processor isn't slowing down, it's just that the complex mathematics converge on a more accurate ETA display over a little time when more data is collected.

As well, the truth may hurt. Sounds like your "new computer" is a used slower machine, and if so, you're going to have to deal with this then...

H.264's advanced asymetrical encoding is CPU intensive by today's standards. In reality it was not made for today's machines - it's a standard for the future.

Even with today's mega-multiple-core machines you still have to wait, but at least it will be bearable if you want to invest in a new machine if you're serious about H.264.

As well, my machine is a D-core and using CRF at slow settings takes me 6-7 hours for 1 hour to encode. Most experienced encoders project plan their encoding overnight or when they're at work, etc.

What are your machine's specs? If it's a slow machine I can tell you how to speed encoding but your results will be bigger files or video with less quality...
spyder-tron

Re: Encoding ETA over 18 hours? (Vista)

Post by spyder-tron »

hey folks just wondered if any one can help i have handbrake 0.9.2 and i've converted a few dvds to the ps3 preset and most have work but one or two i have sound but on pic when played on the ps3 :evil: ??? (help please) thanks
nightstrm
Veteran User

Re: Encoding ETA over 18 hours? (Vista)

Post by nightstrm »

spyder-tron wrote:hey folks just wondered if any one can help i have handbrake 0.9.2 and i've converted a few dvds to the ps3 preset and most have work but one or two i have sound but on pic when played on the ps3 :evil: ??? (help please) thanks
Stop cross posting in other posts that have nothing to do with your question.