Can't save any files no matter what.

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Mech

Can't save any files no matter what.

Post by Mech »

Description of problem or question
I just downloaded and installed handbrake and can't save any file.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable)
I have gone into the options and change to different folders but the program still refuses to save anything. It keeps telling me that it can't either find the folder or make the folder.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0)
1.0.7 (2017040900)-64bit

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.3 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update)
Windows 10 Pro

Error message text or screenshot (If Applicable)

Provide a URL from any image hosting site.

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Use any pastebin website and provide the URL it generates
- or -

Code: Select all

Paste log text between these markers.
[code][/i]
Mech

Re: Can't save any files no matter what.

Post by Mech »

I just wanted to update this. I decided to install shotcut to test the same file and I got a similar problem. I re-installed windows about a month ago but have installed and uninstalled a few programs and I have been having problems with similar things. So in short, I decided to wipe windows and start clean. Needless to say I did the same test with the same file in shotcut, and now just installed handbrake and sure enough everything is working again. This has been really annoying and so I thought I clear this up just to make sure you guys check on other things just in case. The error was basically telling me that it can't find any location for anything. SO there you go, instead of wasting time hunting this problem I just went ahead and did that myself after I backed up my information. I hope this helps.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

With the required log file, there is a good chance we could have helped you. Without it, we would have been guessing, since "it's broke" is not a lot to work with.

That's why handbrake writes logs, unless you specifically tell it not to.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Mech wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:46 amI hope this helps.
Not really. A log would have helped more.
Last edited by mduell on Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mech

Post by Mech »

Thanks for pointing me to this. I didn't know about the logs. I don't use the program frequently and only do very basic video transcoding. I usually just try to get large iles down to size for the most part. I will keep this in mind.
Woodstock wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:37 am With the required log file, there is a good chance we could have helped you. Without it, we would have been guessing, since "it's broke" is not a lot to work with.

That's why handbrake writes logs, unless you specifically tell it not to.
Mech

Post by Mech »

My apologies on this. I see what you mean by not being very helpful when I posted what I did. Unfortunately when I installed handbrake I noticed the problem was very similar to the other regular problems I was getting. In my case libreoffice to start with. So I realized at this time that it may not be a handbrake specific problem, which is the reason I did not want to dig too much into it here and just did the re-installation as I could not point to what was causing that in more than one program before I even installed handbrake. Maybe the logs could have helped a bit, but I don't have those.

mduell wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:03 pm
Mech wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:46 amI hope this helps.
Not really. A lot would have helped more.
Mech

Post by Mech »

Okay, here's one of the log errors from that new install. I was just looking through them. This was a video I recorded on my camera and it's not a dvd of any kind.

[11:56:59] hb_init: starting libhb thread

# Starting Scan ...

[11:56:59] CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6320 CPU @ 3.90GHz
[11:56:59] - Intel microarchitecture Skylake
[11:56:59] - logical processor count: 4
[11:56:59] Intel Quick Sync Video support: yes
[11:56:59] - Intel Media SDK hardware: API 1.25 (minimum: 1.3)
[11:56:59] - H.264 encoder: yes
[11:56:59] - preferred implementation: hardware (any) via D3D11
[11:56:59] - capabilities (hardware): breftype icq+la+i+downs vsinfo opt1 opt2+mbbrc+extbrc+trellis+ib_adapt+nmpslice
[11:56:59] - H.265 encoder: yes (8bit: yes, 10bit: no)
[11:56:59] - preferred implementation: hardware (any) via D3D11
[11:56:59] - capabilities (hardware): bpyramid icq vsinfo opt1
[11:56:59] hb_scan: path=C:\Users\Desktop\Pictures\2018\DSCN0929.MOV, title_index=0
udfread ERROR: ECMA 167 Volume Recognition failed
src/libbluray/disc/disc.c:323: failed opening UDF image C:\Users\Desktop\Pictures\2018\DSCN0929.MOV
src/libbluray/disc/disc.c:424: error opening file BDMV\index.bdmv
src/libbluray/disc/disc.c:424: error opening file BDMV\BACKUP\index.bdmv
[11:56:59] bd: not a bd - trying as a stream/file instead
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 6.0.0
libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
libdvdread:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO failed
libdvdread:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP failed
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
libdvdnav: vm: failed to read VIDEO_TS.IFO
[11:56:59] dvd: not a dvd - trying as a stream/file instead
Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'C:\Users\Desktop\Pictures\2018\DSCN0929.MOV':
Metadata:
major_brand : qt
minor_version : 537331968
compatible_brands: qt niko
creation_time : 2018-12-01 19:11:54
Duration: 00:19:00.83, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 12662 kb/s
Stream #0:0(eng): Video: h264 (Main) [avc1 / 0x31637661]
yuvj420p, pc, smpte170m/bt709/bt709
1920x1080 [PAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 12524 kb/s
29.97 fps, 30k tbn (default)
Metadata:
encoder : AVC Coding
Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: aac (LC) [mp4a / 0x6134706D]
48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 128 kb/s (default)
Metadata:
[11:56:59] scan: decoding previews for title 1
[11:56:59] scan: audio 0x1: aac, rate=48000Hz, bitrate=128001 English (AAC) (2.0 ch)
[11:57:00] scan: 10 previews, 1920x1080, 29.970 fps, autocrop = 0/0/0/0, aspect 16:9, PAR 1:1
[11:57:00] scan: supported video decoders: avcodec qsv
[11:57:00] libhb: scan thread found 1 valid title(s)

# Processing Scan Information ...

# Scan Finished ...
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

And what was the result of the encode? The scan doesn't try to save a file, so we cannot know if you are getting a permission error or what.
Mech

Post by Mech »

Nothing happened, I couldn't save anything so I couldn't do anything else other than close the program. It was just the error that it couldn't write anything. In any case, I'm still not sure what's going on since I also can't save with libreoffice which is a totally different program. At the time I was just using handbrake so that's the reason I posted. Thanks for posting. I'm still trying to figure out what's going on myself since the only changes have been the microsoft updates. I'll post if I find out what the problem is.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Even if the program could not write any video, handbrake should have been able to write an encode log, listing what it found in the source, what the request was to generate the output, and then list status messages and errors during the encode.

There have been reports that the latest Windows 10 update has locked down a number of permissions in home directories and such, but you did not indicate if you've updated in the last month or so, after Microsoft "fixed" the October update.

Can you try setting the output directory to someplace "known to be writable", like an external flash drive? If it works then, the solution would be in finding why you don't have permission to write to where you want it to write. It could be as simple as the output directory is using the handbrake program directory as its base, which would definitely not be writable.
Mech

Post by Mech »

Hi. I decided to take a closer look at this problem and I just finished checking my laptop and the new version of handbrake seems to work fine on it. I can even save with libreoffice so it seems that it may just be my desktop with the updates. Yes, I have been updating my windows 10. I also went ahead and uninstalled the previous versions on my desktop and installed the new version of handbrake again and sure enough I get the same error, but I did find that I can save to the download folder only, even with my libreoffice, so you are correct, it seems that windows broke something because I remember this started after an update. Unfortunately the update I uninstalled which I thought was the problem wasn't, so I don't want to keep uninstalling them since I'm not sure which one is the one. At least now I can do some work with some documents too. I have been comparing rights on both computers and they seem to be the same, so I'm not sure what screwed things up. My laptop is updating with their latest updates now so we'll see how that goes. Other than cleaning the OS I think I'll wait and see if this gets fixed since at least I can work around this for the time being. Handbrake is is using the default desktop for the output file.Thank you for you input. Unfortunately I have quite a few logs, so I'm not sure which of them would be the rest of the information for the log I posted.
Mech

Post by Mech »

Okay, I think I just found the problem, I mean the solution. I just turned this option off under ransomware protection. It's called controlled folder access. Here's the screenshot. Everything seems to be working again. By the way I just compared this to my laptop and that setting is off, but it was on the desktop for some reason. I know I didn't change it, but again, things seem to work normal again.
https://jaimenow.blogspot.com/
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The option in question is relatively new, and Microsoft has a tendency to set those options to "on" when they come up with them.

It is actually a good thing for most people to have on, assuming it allows you to make exceptions.
Mech

Post by Mech »

I agree. I don't mind using their settings and programs as long as it doesn't interfere with your normal work. Sometimes I guess you have to make the exception. That was really annoying to work with.