Where is advanced options? [SOLVED]

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
uaget

Where is advanced options? [SOLVED]

Post by uaget »

Hi!
Where is advanced options? :shock:
OS - ALT Linux 8...

Activity Log:

Code: Select all

[01:15:41] gtkgui: HandBrake 1.0.7 (2017041700) - Linux x86_64 - https://handbrake.fr
[01:15:41] hb_init: starting libhb thread
Strace log
Last edited by uaget on Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Where is advanced options?

Post by mduell »

Gone, where they belong.

Which ones do you want to use, and for what misguided reason?
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Advance options are hidden because they will be going away entirely in a future release. If you *really* need to set options that are not available through x264 preset, tune, profile, and level options, I encourage you to use the "More Settings" entry box to enter your advanced settings. The format can be seen by looking at the tooltip when you hover the mouse over the "More Settings" entry box. The complete settings for your current preset, tune, profile, and level are displayed in the tooltip.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Consider this: Any tutorial on how to encode with handbrake that MENTIONS the advanced options page is explaining the workings of a version that has not been supported in several years - the Advanced Options page has been "hidden by default" for well over two years, when 0.10.x was released.
uaget

Post by uaget »

But, on the other machine with the same operating system ALT Linux 8...
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

And you can un-hide the tab on the Windows and Mac GUIs, too...

Which, in no way, negates the fact that any page that discusses using the Advance tab is talking about the 0.9.x and earlier versions of handbrake, not a current version.
uaget

Post by uaget »

And how do I unhide the "Advanced" tab? I did not unhide/enabled anything on the same machine, and tab is present. But tab does not have on another machine and I can not find how to turn it on.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

It varies with the operating system. The Windows GUI has, on the General tab of Preferences, "Allow use of Advance Tab for x264 options. (Deprecated)". Of course, you ALSO have to go to the Video tab and check "Use Advanced Tab instead", or it is still hidden.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

uaget wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:48 pm And how do I unhide the "Advanced" tab? I did not unhide/enabled anything on the same machine, and tab is present. But tab does not have on another machine and I can not find how to turn it on.
As I said before. I recommend you don't do this since the advanced tab *will* be removed in the not too distant future. You should get used to using the "More Settings" box on the Video pane for any advanced options you think you require. There is nothing you can set on the advanced pane that you can't set in the More Settings box.

But if you must... the option to enable it is in preferences on the advanced pane.
uaget

Post by uaget »

Thanks!
Hardly I found it.

And why to delete this tab? Without it manually very inconveniently and not visually to do thin settings...
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Where is advanced options? [SOLVED]

Post by Woodstock »

Because most such controls are less intuitive in graphic form than they are in text form, and there is only so much screen real estate to work with. There are already complaints that the handbrake GUI require a screen size that some machines cannot manage. So, which "special option" that 5% or fewer of users will THINK they need to tweak do you fit on to the screen? How do you represent it?

So you STILL need to have an "extra options" box to put things into that don't fit on the screen.

The main question is, what does a given person think they need to tweak option "X" on their video? Is it because someone on YouTube said "this is the magic button that makes everything work for my particular video situation", or because they understand what changing that parameter will do for (or TO) their video?

This is only my opinion, but - if you NEED to tune the parameters to a finer degree than the presets, filters, and "tunes" do, it should be important enough to understand what they do, which will lead you to the command string that is needed.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

uaget wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:49 pmAnd why to delete this tab? Without it manually very inconveniently and not visually to do thin settings...
I bet it's mostly misused, from users turning things up to the max, or bad advice from blogs/videos about what to choose.

A little more user hostile interface will probably improve overall encoding with HB, and the advanced options box is still there for expert users.

tl;dr: If you can't use the advanced options box, you probably shouldn't be picking advanced options.
uaget

Post by uaget »

mduell wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:46 amtl;dr: If you can't use the advanced options box, you probably shouldn't be picking advanced options.
I just said that setting the options in the "Advanced" tab is just more convenient than entering numbers and keys in the window manually. There you can inadvertently make a mistake.