Does Handbrake "trascoding" reduce quality?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Tech198

Does Handbrake "trascoding" reduce quality?

Post by Tech198 »

I think i already know the answer, based on preset. but i'm using MakeMKV to rip Blu-ray,,, then i'll use Handbrake to covert .mkv to .m4v to Apple TV 4 however i don't want to sacrifice any quality loss

Any advice ?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Does Handbrake "trascoding" reduce quality?

Post by Woodstock »

Any lossy encode will entail a measure of quality lost. The encode that was done to CREATE the BD you're using as a source was lossy, as well.

The question is, do you detect the loss? Or, more precisely, do you care about the amount of loss?

A lot of that depends upon personal tastes and your past experiences. Some of us who grew up watching TV when it was only shades of grey broadcast over a less-than-optimal transmission system to a poor quality receiver will tolerate a lot more messing with the video quality than someone who is used to seeing a 4K display fed by fast CPU and even faster graphics card. I have no issue with BD-sourced video being compressed at an RF value of 20, but I rarely spend any time LOOKING for artifacts of the compression. Others are aghast at the quality issues at an RF of 18. And some are picky about the quality of the original BD source, without going through an additional compression cycle.
Tech198

Re: Does Handbrake "trascoding" reduce quality?

Post by Tech198 »

ah ok thx.....