How to Reduce Video Size with HandBrake in X265 step-by-step instructions on how to encode,quality HEVC 5.1 Color Full

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
PcGamerMaster

How to Reduce Video Size with HandBrake in X265 step-by-step instructions on how to encode,quality HEVC 5.1 Color Full

Post by PcGamerMaster »

Hello All:, I'm a user of HandBrake I'm gonna explain How to Reduce Video Size with HandBrake in X265 step-by-step instructions on how to encode small, quality HEVC Level 5.1 Color Full 8 bits MP4 on Windows 10 64 bit

1 Input the file you want to be transcoded by clicking the large Source button and then File. Then set a destination by browsing to whatever folder you desire.

2 Picture tab, change to Automatic

3 Filters tab, you do not need to change anything

4 Video tab (more important) Change the container from MKV to MP4 And click Web Optimized (MP4 is a personal preference MKV also works.). you’ll want to select some specific settings. Make sure framerate is set to ‘same as source’
Then, select an x265 preset of Medium by adjusting the slider down from the default Ultrafast setting.. Setting it higher will result in a larger file and faster encodes, and setting lower will reduce the file size at the expense of significant longer encode times.
As for quality, set this to Constant Quality with a value of 28 for 1080p videos, and slightly higher (26) for 720p videos.

https://s15.postimg.cc/r8i6r8qaz/HEVC.x265.png

I will add more images in the next days

And last but not least(4 Video tab )Extra Options: You must copy and paste (to paste using the Ctrl V command) these codes:

Code: Select all

ctu=64:me=3:subme=3:bframes=8:psy-rd=2.28:rc-lookahead=25:level-idc=5.1:b-adapt=2:range=full:cutree:no-deblock:no-sao:no-weightp:no-weightb
5 Audio tab you’ll want to change the codec to AAC (avcodec), the bitrate to 256, and the mixdown to 5.1 channels. If your source has only 2.0 channel audio, leaving the setting on 5.1 will still encode only 2.0 audio. Here you might want to play with bitrates to whatever you desire, although I think 128 delivers great quality audio.

Optional: Save these settings as a preset so you can revisit them easily in the future.Click '' Add '' from a '' Name '' Finish by clicking '' Add '' It's saved

6 Subtitles tab Use only if you have subtitles for the video

7 Now you should be all good to go. Click Start and let the encode happen, which may take a considerable amount of time depending on your hardware. After the encode is done, text saying ‘finished’ will appear in the bottom left corner.
Average time to encode HEVC 1080p (28RF) 1 minute takes 4 to 8 minutes. 720p (26RF) 1 minute takes 2 to 4 minutes. Depending on the computer's processor

Sources and Citations

Downloads
https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php
Wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HandBrake
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Effi ... deo_Coding
http://x265.readthedocs.io/en/default/p ... der%20tune
http://x265.readthedocs.io/en/default/cli.html

My twitter
https://twitter.com/PcGamerMaster1

Final Considerations

Is still in doubt access the links below or search your browser ''limited vs full color''

https://pcmonitors.info/articles/correc ... -amd-gpus/
http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-cards-don ... res-a-fix/
https://www.howtogeek.com/295569/should ... n-or-xbox/

In my opinion, This little distortion improves the video. Being forced into limited meant not getting the full colors you should be able to display.

The larger distortion occurs only with monitor or television Does not support HEVC 5.1 Color Full

For everyone to be sure, I downloaded a color test video from tv and I added 2 image See the image below or download the video with and without reduction

Reduce size with handbrake in X265 Encode HEVC 5.1 Color Full. 2 Videos Test Color .1 before reduce and 2 after reduce

Download or watch. And draw your own conclusions
https://www.4shared.com/folder/sYY3oQJ- ... e_in_.html

In case you prefer limited color is just remove that code

Code: Select all

range=full

The quality of all reduced video will not be equal to the original, but with this setting will be closer to the original possible.
This tutorial is based on several others.(It's a lot of trial and error)
Please note that x265 requires more resources for adequate playback . if your audio is out of sync , then your machine can't handle it .If you only have audio and no video , then please update your player .
Use latest MPC-HC , VLC , or any other modern player to play X265 .
Thank for your attention and enjoy. :D
Last edited by PcGamerMaster on Wed May 30, 2018 8:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
Dysthymia

Re: How to Reduce Video Size with HandBrake in X265 step-by-step instructions on how to encode,quality HEVC 5.1 Color F

Post by Dysthymia »

What settings would you use if quality were your primary consideration, and file size a secondary consideration?
mduell
Veteran User

Re: How to Reduce Video Size with HandBrake in X265 step-by-step instructions on how to encode,quality HEVC 5.1 Color F

Post by mduell »

Self-promotional and bad advice? Get the [Censored] out.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

@PcGamerMaster I removed your image due to rule violation for advertising (see rules). I'll let others comment on the content of your post. Some of the settings seem a bit off to me.

You're welcome to post to this forum, but please read the rules and avoid extensive self-promotion.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Dysthymia wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:41 pm What settings would you use if quality were your primary consideration, and file size a secondary consideration?
I would use one of HandBrake's official H.265 presets. These are tuned for quality, specifically disabling strong-intra-smoothing to avoid clobbering keyframes.

You can adjust the overall quality to your liking using the RF control, see https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.0.0/work ... ality.html for more info and recommended quality settings by resolution.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

The zero latency tune choice shows your complete lack of understanding of encoding.
PcGamerMaster

Post by PcGamerMaster »

Dysthymia wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:41 pm What settings would you use if quality were your primary consideration, and file size a secondary consideration?
I would change the constant quality from 28 to 25 and from 26 to 22
PcGamerMaster

Post by PcGamerMaster »

BradleyS wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:38 pm
I would use one of HandBrake's official H.265 presets. These are tuned for quality, specifically disabling strong-intra-smoothing to avoid clobbering keyframes.

You can adjust the overall quality to your liking using the RF control, see https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.0.0/work ... ality.html for more info and recommended quality settings by resolution.
I hope I helped
PcGamerMaster

Post by PcGamerMaster »

BradleyS wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:33 pm @PcGamerMaster I removed your image due to rule violation for advertising (see rules). I'll let others comment on the content of your post. Some of the settings seem a bit off to me.

You're welcome to post to this forum, but please read the rules and avoid extensive self-promotion.
I read hurried sorry
AlienVolt

Post by AlienVolt »

Hi, I have 2 doubts

1- "4 Video tab". The image says to mark the option MP4 and web. I must follow the image or the Text
2 - I can use this too in MKV
nhyone
Bright Spark User

Post by nhyone »

One suggestion: keep your source! :D
PcGamerMaster

Post by PcGamerMaster »

AlienVolt wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:31 am Hi, I have 2 doubts

1- "4 Video tab". The image says to mark the option MP4 and web. I must follow the image or the Text
2 - I can use this too in MKV
1 Thank for noticing Already updated
2 MP4 is a personal preference MKV also works
PcGamerMaster

Post by PcGamerMaster »

nhyone wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:40 am One suggestion: keep your source! :D
Thanks for the info. The more tips the tutorial gets, the better :D
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Specifying "range=full" is going to distort the colors of any source that has it's color space properly flagged. HandBrake's pipeline always converts to limited range. So specifying this option will result in limited range color being flagged as full range in your output and result in color distortion during playback.

The only time it would be useful to set this option is if your source video is incorrectly flagged as limited range when it is really full range. In this case, HandBrake will do no range conversion (since it thinks it is already limited range) and the output would still be full range.
Bjomesphat

Post by Bjomesphat »

These step by step guides are always dangerous.

I know when I started using Handbrake, the first thing I did was Google "best Handbrake settings" or something similar. I ended up following some guide and converting all of my DVDs and BDs to these settings. Then I started coming around these forums more and realized I had really just been inflating my filesizes and getting lower quality at the same time. Needless to say, most of my settings now are just adjusting the tune, preset, and RF settings. The advanced tab and extra arguments are unnecessary most of the time.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Yes, but there is a certain percentage of people who only trust themselves when dealing with a step-by-step-guide-to-perfection, because they are afraid to "fail".

There are very few programs out there that where "failing" is more inconvenient than, "Oh, I have to try again." But, being "adults", "failure is bad". It can lead to hurt pride, lost jobs, etc., so we do not like to fail.

Failure is not an option in learning - it's a requirement.
PcGamerMaster

Post by PcGamerMaster »

JohnAStebbins wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:24 pm Specifying "range=full" is going to distort the colors of any source that has it's color space properly flagged. HandBrake's pipeline always converts to limited range. So specifying this option will result in limited range color being flagged as full range in your output and result in color distortion during playback.

The only time it would be useful to set this option is if your source video is incorrectly flagged as limited range when it is really full range. In this case, HandBrake will do no range conversion (since it thinks it is already limited range) and the output would still be full range.
You are partially correct but In my opinion, This little distortion improves the video. Being forced into limited meant not getting the full colors you should be able to display.

The larger distortion occurs only with monitor or television Does not support HEVC 5.1 Color Full
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

You cannot create more colors that aren't in the source (or the pipeline).
PcGamerMaster

Post by PcGamerMaster »

BradleyS wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:27 am You cannot create more colors that aren't in the source (or the pipeline).
I know, so much that this tutorial and for videos with full color font
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Read John's comments again. If your source is full range and properly signaled, HandBrake will convert it to TV range. Then your settings will mark the TV range output as full range, without the necessary conversion back to full range. So, your setting cause the output video range to be signaled incorrectly, in this case resulting in a loss of contrast and unwanted color shifts.
PcGamerMaster

Post by PcGamerMaster »

BradleyS wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:18 am Read John's comments again. If your source is full range and properly signaled, HandBrake will convert it to TV range. Then your settings will mark the TV range output as full range, without the necessary conversion back to full range. So, your setting cause the output video range to be signaled incorrectly, in this case resulting in a loss of contrast and unwanted color shifts.
You could see these videos
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

PcGamerMaster wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:05 am
BradleyS wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:18 am Read John's comments again. If your source is full range and properly signaled, HandBrake will convert it to TV range. Then your settings will mark the TV range output as full range, without the necessary conversion back to full range. So, your setting cause the output video range to be signaled incorrectly, in this case resulting in a loss of contrast and unwanted color shifts.
You could see this image I made using your videos:
IMG_1008.JPG
IMG_1008.JPG (40.69 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

BradleyS wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:20 am
PcGamerMaster wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:05 am
You could see this image I made using your videos: IMG_1008.JPG
Hmm, when I'm *not* logged in to the forum, I get the message
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
in a red box and can't view the image. Some kind of forum permissions issues?
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Anyway, back on topic. If you force the fullrange tag on the output, a player that knows it is playing back on a full range device will *not* expand the limited range pixel values that HandBrake has generated to full range and the colors will look desaturated. And player that knows it is playing back on a limited range device will compress the color range during playback (because it thinks the source is full range) and again you will see desaturated colors. In all cases, if the source is properly tagged, forcing full range results in desaturated colors when playing back with a player that properly interprets this flag.

There are players that ignore this flag. You won't see any color shifts on such players, but such players are making an assumption about what range the color is and will always show wrong colors for the other range.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

The bad advice from OP continues.