Can Handbrake do lens correction?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
peterh337

Can Handbrake do lens correction?

Post by peterh337 »

I am using a Sony FDR-X3000 action camera to do various flying videos e.g.
https://vimeo.com/user8026275

Previously I used the X1000.

These all suffer from varying degrees of barrel distortion.

There doesn't seem to be a way to correct this "exactly" although one guy posting here
http://community.sony.com/t5/Action-Cam ... alse#M6869
seems to have found one program which does a pretty good job.

I have Vegas Pro 14 and the NewblueFX Lens Correction plug-in but that doesn't do it correctly.

I think the problem is that the distortion isn't "pure barrel" and thus would need a customised correction formula.

Is there any such a plug-in for Handbrake? It would be a great way to do it because I record in 4K mainly for the lens correction reason - it causes pixel replication unless one is rendering to a smaller size, so I render to 1080. If Handbrake could do it, one would go say 4K -> 2K and then use the 2K version in the editor.

Very many thanks for any pointers.
BradleyS

Re: Can Handbrake do lens correction?

Post by BradleyS »

HandBrake does not have the ability to do lens distortion correction.

To do this properly requires a distortion profile to be created using the specific lens and camera. It sounds like the software you tried may be using a more generic approach, which is of course would provide a less tailored result.
peterh337

Post by peterh337 »

I seem to recall seeing some 3rd party plug-ins for Handbrake, suggesting there is some sort of API for this.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

HandBrake has never had a plugin architecture.