Target Size Option

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
johnbil

Target Size Option

Post by johnbil »

Downloaded HB for Windows 1.0.7 and was disappointed that the 'Target Size' option is no longer available. Can anyone tell me which was the last version to include that setting?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Target Size Option

Post by Woodstock »

Removed years ago because it was rarely accurate. Google "Bit rate calculator" to find a bit rate calculator to let you take your video's length and target file size, and get back the bit rate that will get close to that.

That way, you can have the same level of accuracy the old system had (i.e., wild-ass-guess), while using the newest encoders.
johnbil

Post by johnbil »

Yeah, Woodstock, I know. I use a Bit Rate calculator. As strange as it sounds, I've had much more success with the Target Size option. I found it pretty accurate.

Again, does anyone know the last version that featured it?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

It would have to be something in the 0.9 or earlier series, because it wasn't in 0.10.

And you'll almost certainly have to compile those from source, because binaries that used fdk-aac were removed from the archives, due to licensing issues.
johnbil

Post by johnbil »

Thanks for your help.