Picture - Chosen Output Resolution Keeps "Defaulting" to Source

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Soniclight

Picture - Chosen Output Resolution Keeps "Defaulting" to Source

Post by Soniclight »

Please describe the problem in as much detail as possible:

Project:

Transform 1440 x 1080 interlaced with audio .m2t NTSC 29.97 footage to:
1920 x 1080p 59.95 fps H264 Yadif Deinterlaced MP4 no-audio for better slow-motion, pan-crop-zoom in NLE (Sony Vegas Pro).

I have created a preset in HB for this, but only "Filters" and "Video" settings load.
But here is the real rather frustrating problem:

Obviously when I load the 1440 x 1080i, "Picture" will reflect that resolution. I change it manually to 1920 x 1080 and un-check "Keep Aspect Ratio" and go delete the audio track since it is not desired and make sure Video settings are as desired.

I then go back to "Picture" and resolution is back to 1440 x 1080.

I change it again to desired 1920.

If I touch anything else in the GUI, it will jump back to the 1440 source resolution. And, it's hit and miss even if the very last thing I do is change the resolution to 1920 before clicking on"Start Encode."

Resolution in "Picture" LOOKS like its holding, but when the encoding is done, I do a MediaInfo on the output MP4, and it's been encoded as 1440, not 1920. While I have not done an in-NLE "forensic" on the encoded MP4 to make sure the Yadif did its job, at least the doubling of fps did occur (NTSC 59.94p)

I say "hit and miss" for once in a while, it will encode as instructed. But for now, more often than not, the result is as in sentence preceding this one.

NOTE: This "jumping" back to source resolution was experienced/duplicated by another editor at the Sony forum using his own copy of HB. In short, he ran into the same problem.

Last, but not least, I've used HB off and on for years. Never had this problem before.

What am I missing here, if anything? This does act and look like a bug to me.
Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.

Thank you.

What are the steps to reproduce this problem:

Description of problem should suffice.

What version of HandBrake you are running:

1.0.7 x 64-bit (most current version checked within last hour)

What operating system and version and you running (e.g. OSX 10.11, Windows 7, Ubuntu 14):

Windows 7 Home 64-bit with current Win updates installed on Samsung SSD.

Where did you download HandBrake from? handbrake.fr or somewhere else?

I had not updated HB for a while, so let HB download and I went through the update process.

If there was any error, exception or crash report displayed, please copy it and paste it here:

No error message and so no error or crash report available for it appears to be a GUI problem.

Please include the scan or encode log:

I don't understand the question.

Code: Select all

To make the log easier to read, please paste your log here between the code brackets, or use a pastebin website. 
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Picture - Chosen Output Resolution Keeps "Defaulting" to Source

Post by rollin_eng »

HB GUI does not support upscaling so you will probably have issues if you try it.

Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31236
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

If the source is 1440 x 1080, the output from the GUI will not "do" anything bigger.

You can use the "pad" filter, available ONLY in the command line version, to insert the vertical letterbox to pad the width to 1920. Or, you can simply let the display device take care of padding.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

When we overhaul the resolution settings and picture tab, this will be possible. Unfortunately, it is not currently. The jumping you're seeing is an unfortunate anomaly that we'll look into.
Soniclight

Post by Soniclight »

Thank you all for your responses.

First, as I said there is a "hit and miss" aspect to this oddity. After posting the OP here, I did more test encodings as described in my OP, and all except one did the back-to-1440 "jump" in terms of output footage. BTW, I had Anamorphic set at "None" before posting the OP, so changed it to "Automatic" -- which didn't seem to change the outcome, but there is obviously something I have done that has forced it to render at 1920.

I'll have to see what it is, but for right now it's puzzling for I keep attempting the same correction over and over.
(But finally gave up last night, deleted the 1440 outputs, went to watch Netflix :)

As to instructions on logs, I'll have to study that so as to provide them for I have never done that before.

For this project there are only four .m2t "foundation" files varying from 1x to 4x minutes in length that I need to convert, and while I've done them over and over, I want to start afresh one after the other - then post the logs.

One of you instructed me to report this bug at another thread. There too, I want to wait for I may be able to amend the OP with new information, if not a work-around -- IF -- I'm able to figure out why that rare 1920 output happens (whudahell did I DO right? lol)

So this may take me a day or more before I'm able to come back and provide the newer logs and figure why it worked when it did.

While my video project in my NLE has come to a screeching halt due to this problem, fortunately this is not a paid or has-deadline project.

So I have the luxury to back off before I try again. I'm still burned out from running into this problem - kind of feel like a hamster doing his perpetual going-nowhere wheel thing...

Short version: Gotta chill for a bit.
Thank you for your patience.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

When you're done chilling, perhaps consider using the command line version of HandBrake. It does not limit upscaling, but of course you'll need to come up with the magic sauce of commands to get everything you want. We can probably help.
Soniclight

Post by Soniclight »

BradleyS wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:11 pm When you're done chilling, perhaps consider using the command line version of HandBrake. It does not limit upscaling, but of course you'll need to come up with the magic sauce of commands to get everything you want. We can probably help.
I took one class in DOS back in 96 or so, then Win 3.1 came out - but I was also taking a class in Photoshop and Illustrator on Mac. So while I've used simple command line stuff - i.e. sfc /scannow and slight tweaks to reset some vagrant .dll or other file, not a command line expert.

Which is...

One reason I don't use what a lot of the pro editors do that I know at the Sony forum - AviSynth - it's a command line prog that really gets under-the-hood to come up with good render results.

Just for clarity, I am a former pro graphic designer, early shutterbug who is a self-taught video editor and content producer starting 10+ years ago that could be categorized as "semi-pro" or very serious hobbyist. I do not make commercial videos.

In the mean time, here is a copy of part of my discussion over at the Sony forum, in part wondering if just rendering out the 2x fps and deinterlace directly in Vegas, bypassing HB is an option.

Your thoughts on this appreciated even though I am talking about a non-Handbrake NLE option. (BTW/FYI, on the whole, the best MP4 codec-encoder to customize in Vegas used by most is MainConcept.)

Not an emergency to respond to this, so do so at your flow.
But some time within this calendar year would be appreciated - lol.

Thanks.

FROM A PREVIOUS POSTING IN THAT THREAD, QUOTING PART OF MY QUERY:
Last, this latest version of HB does have the choice between Yadif and Decomb. So far have not tried the latter. Any advantage to one or the other?

ANSWER:
As said previously, Decomb used to be better than Yadif and I have no reason to believe it still isn't. I think Decomb might even be Yadif+additional filtering.

1. Would Using Yadif - Within - Vegas Pro Do a Better Job at De-Interlacing than the Handbrake Version?

ANSWER:
I don't think so.

A) Should de-interlacing only precede up-rezing as a separate render first, then double the fps - or the other way around, or do all three simultaneously?

ANSWER:
If de-interlacing and up-rezing first and only, I'd have to set the .veg project to the original NTSC 29.97. Then import the four renders back into the project, change the .veg's fps to 59.94, then do the final double fps render.

Doubling the framerate should happen as a direct result of deinterlacing, if it's done right and the filter/program retains all the deinterlaced frames. Resize should come after deinterlacing. I'm hoping Handbrake will do these 3 things all in one pass:

Deinterlace 29.97fps to 59.94fps at better quality than Vegas/Yadif

> Scale anamorphic 1440x1080 to 1920x1080 at better quality than Vegas (but note that the difference in quality here would be miniscule for that operation)

> Render near-lossless files for you to use as an intermediate in Vegas
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Deinterlace 29.97fps to 59.94fps at better quality than Vegas/Yadif
This is what HandBrake's Decomb interlacer with the Bob preset does.
Scale anamorphic 1440x1080 to 1920x1080 at better quality than Vegas (but note that the difference in quality here would be miniscule for that operation)
Currently, this is what requires the command line interface. The graphical interfaces do not upscale.
Render near-lossless files for you to use as an intermediate in Vegas.
In terms of encoding quality, this is possible. Note that HandBrake's entire video pipeline is YCbCr 4:2:0, so if you're coming from broadcast 4:2:2 or similar formats, the color subsampling is different.

We may in the future have a high quality intermediate preset. In the meantime, use the Fast 1080p30 preset with a quality of RF 2 for ultimate quality or RF 10 for very high quality (lower is better). RF 0 is x264's lossless mode and is probably not compatible with Vegas. Between that and 2 is just bloating the file size for no quality gain. So pick a number between 2 and 10 and see how it goes. The lower the number, the bigger the files will be.

You will also benefit from adding "keyint=30" (without quote marks) in the additional encoder options box. This ensures you have reasonably small GOP with a keyframe every 30 frames, so you can scrub around in your editor with ease.

Hopefully this helps.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

I should probably recommend "keyint=30:bframes=0" since B-frames serve no useful purpose for an intermediate and can slow down decoding.
Soniclight

Post by Soniclight »

OK, thanks, BradleyS for your responses. Still not ready to jump in again -- partly didn't get enough sleep last night, so will get back to you on testing out your recommendations in due course.

Vegas 10e is a very stable version, but they are at 14x now, and since Magix bought out Vegas (and other Sony audio-video progs), the later versions probably can handle bigger files for scrub and preview.

But as long as I match the project's fps to the replaced 59.94 fps intermediary/for editing purposes files, it should be OK. Trying to preview or scrub one of those in the project's original 29.97 settings is obviously sluggish. And frustrating...

As to source .m2t interlaced files, not broadcast quality - so already at 4.2.0.
Actually, kind of dinosaur footage - from old Canon HV30, one of the last tape based HDV camcorders.

But due to my background in design, graphics, etc. I'm pretty sneaky and effective in post.
I can make a "Meh..." rather washed out m2t look pretty good with color corrections, "double exposure" tracks, fx (incl. Particleillusion), etc.

I've even exported good frames from Vegas and made decent photoart from them.
For example, closing image is a place-holder for one of my videos (not published as public or searchable).

A screenshot of a facsimile of its outdated Longtail player at my site with some of my site's night-blue background.

... Just at the right moment of the opening title --- star flash-flies in from "behind" the viewer into the flower petals (eventually becoming so small that it disappears before first scene) as a slow zoom in occurs, the cursive "One Artist's Dream" subtitle being completed as if written "by hand" from left to right using a mask to simulate that.

(Just because one isn't a pro film-maker, doesn't mean one can't enjoy the craft at one's own level - lol)

No response necessary. I'll be back when ready to say something of consequence.

~ PSK