TrueHD 7.1 to EAC3 7.1 - Possible?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
metaldave

TrueHD 7.1 to EAC3 7.1 - Possible?

Post by metaldave »

Hi, community!

After reviewing several options over the past few weeks, I, finally, settled on using E-AC3 to encode my audio from my rips. Unfortunately, I've run into an incompatibility when it comes to 7.1 tracks.

Specifically, I'm trying to encode a Dolby TrueHD using the E-AC3 Codec. This, automatically, brings up the Mixdown options, and these are as follows: Mono, Stereo, Dolby Surround, Dolby ProLogic II, and 5.1 Channels.

Why is there no 7.1 option to passthrough the audio channels? I've even tried using the CLI application (specifying the "-6 7point1" option), and this generates the same 6-channel mixdown.

Any help would be appreciated!

- Dave

Env: HandBrake v1.07 running on MacOS 10.12.4.
https://pastebin.com/7cuWpT1a
Deleted User 11865

Re: TrueHD 7.1 to EAC3 7.1 - Possible?

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Our E-AC-3 encoder doesn't support coding the extensions required for more than 5.1 channels.
metaldave

Post by metaldave »

Thank you very much for the clarification.

Is this something that can be put on the roadmap via a feature request, or is there something that makes using an encoder with this capability prohibitive (e.g. cost, availability, etc...)?

It seems like most commercial "Digital Copy" versions of 7.1 films are encoded with E-AC3, and it would be nice to use the same standard practice with my private collection.

Thanks again!
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

The E-AC-3 encoder is provided by libavcodec (a third-party software library we use). The developer who perfected the AC-3 encoder and added E-AC-3 encoding is no longer actively working on libavcodec, so chances of 7.1 support being added quickly is fairly low, but you may always direct a feature request to them if you like: https://libav.org/contact/
metaldave

Post by metaldave »

Thank you for the insight, Rodeo. I'll check out the link and give it a go.
dm29

Post by dm29 »

Hi! How do you encode to E-AC3?? The GUI only provides AC3 encoding or E-AC3 passthrough.
Thank you
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

This question probably would have been better suited to a new thread as opposed to reviving a year-old thread.

Short answer: HandBrake does not currently support encoding to 7.1 E-AC-3.