output format selected as MP4 file but getting doc

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
noteventherain

output format selected as MP4 file but getting doc

Post by noteventherain »

(apologies if this has been answered elsewhere - i did try the guide and searching the forums/wiki/google - but i think i lack the right lingo to find what i'm looking for. I am very new to video editting/ripping, and to macs but am trying hard)

Detailed description of issue: Although I select the output format as MP4 file and the rip appears to be sucessful, when I go to open my new file off my hard drive, it is a "document" file... definately ain't no moving picture!

Environment: mac
HB Version: 0.9.0 (2007081900)
All Settings Used:
Output format: MPG4
Codec: AVC/H.264 Video/AAC Audio
Encoder: x264(h.264 Main) - I was advised to encode as x264 so that it would scale up well, but i've tried the FFmpeg setting as well
Everything else was left as default (2-pass encoding; average bitrate 1500kbps; picture settings source 720x480, output 720x480)

Computer Info: 2.16 GHx Intel Core Duo, 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM (130GB available) - brand spanking new/6 days old
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4.10 Tiger
Source: Commercial DVDs (tried a couple different sources, released 2004-2007)
Intended Player/Device: iMovie (collecting various clips for educational presentation)
Intended viewing environment: the big screen (movie theatre)

I have tried maybe 6 or so times, first time got a document file as the output, second time it worked perfectly (not sure what was different) - I the left the settings exactly as they were and ripped a different title off the same DVD, assumed it worked, ripped a cople more files off some other DVDs. I finally went to import the files into iMovie and found they were all doc files again!

I get the impression I'm missing something insanely obvious, but I'm just learning the ways of the mac... and ripping/editing in general.

Thanks in advance for your help... if it would be more apporpriate, please feel free to PM me and we can keep it off of here.

cheers!
remyhelsinki

Post by remyhelsinki »

What is the extension of the file you are getting? Is it a .mp4 or .m4v or a .doc or a .txt. or .rtf or is there not an extension? Does the file size appear to be something similar to what you would get as a movie (Mb or Gb instead of Kb)? If it is and the extension either isn't there or has something other than .mp4 or .m4v listed try changing the extension to either of those two and see if it will work (the OS will probably ask if you really want to add or change the extension). My guess is that when you give the name for the file to be encoded you have taken off the extension and it appears to be a document/text file. Let me know if this works. If that isn't the case I'm not sure at the moment...
noteventherain

Post by noteventherain »

hooray!!! that worked great... you just made my night :D
remyhelsinki

Post by remyhelsinki »

Glad it was an easy fix. Have fun encoding!