REQ: Please add Subtitle title field/trackname

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Addict

REQ: Please add Subtitle title field/trackname

Post by Addict »

Please describe what you would like to see added to HandBrake:
A subtitle title field/trackname field, I've found one thread asking the same but this was posted over 3 years ago.

Why would you like to see this added:
I often encode tv-series episodes from collection dvd's. With some series there is beside the default audio and subtitle track also an audio commentary and info subtitle text present. So my encoded file in this case has two audio and two subtitle tracks.
With audio tracks this is not a problem since I can name each track, but there is no title field for the subtitle. So I always have to do a separate run through MKVtoolnix to add the names to the subtitle tracks so I don't get just two identical subtitle languages in the subtitle selection dropdown of my player. Since there is such a field for audio tracks it would be nice if the same was possible with subtitle tracks.

What version of HandBrake are you currently running:
Handbrake-nightly 20170114215218-a9b099a-master (2017011501)

What operating system and version and you currently running (e.g. OSX 10.11, Windows 7, Ubuntu 14):
Windows 10 (1607 build 14393.576)
WhosAsking

Re: REQ: Please add Subtitle title field/trackname

Post by WhosAsking »

Seconded. This is especially useful for multiple tracks with the same language but different purposes (say, two French tracks, one's the dialogue but the other is commentary or forces/translations only). Waiting until after the encode to tag with mkvpropedit is not ideal because the context of the original media can be lost by then, making the tracks difficult to identify. The best place to tag the track would be during the original rip when the information about the original tracks is still there. This can also go well with rips that contain closed captions, as those tracks can be named and tagged automatically.