merge files

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
SnaykeByte

merge files

Post by SnaykeByte »

Evening all, I have been searching the forum and have come up short. I have a few movies on DVD that are more than one disk. In particular, The Ten Commandments is on disk 1 and disk 2. After I rip them both into an MKV container, is there a way to combine both into one movie?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: merge files

Post by Woodstock »

Yes, there are several ways. None of them work particularly well. :roll:

The issue is mostly with chapters; simply appending the two MKVs together with mkvmerge from mkvtoolnix does not renumber the chapters.
SnaykeByte

Post by SnaykeByte »

In that case I'll just leave them in 2 files, sounds like it aint worth the trouble.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

If you are really interested in it, there ARE chapter editors out there that could be used to correct the chapter markers. If you search for "merge lord of the rings", a more popular movie nowadays that Ten Commandments, there is discussion on exactly how to do it.

The task, after appending the chunks together, is mostly renumbering the chapter marks in the combined chapter track for the second (and subsequent) chunks, and adding the time of the previous "chunk(s)" of the movie to their offsets. You extract the combined track, make the edits with a chapter editor, then merge the "corrected" chapter track back in. This would, of course, be done before you use handbrake.

But, in the case of many old classics (Ben Hur, David Copperfield, Doctor Zhivago, Gone with the Wind, Ten Commandments), the breaks are built into the movies, complete with intermissions; It's is part of the experience. Even before cell phones and Facebook, attention spans were interrupted by biological needs. :)
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

Did this not work for you?

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18721

SC
DrXenos
Bright Spark User

Post by DrXenos »

What I do is extract the chapters using mkvmerge, and use a text editor with a good regex engine to auto-renumber them. Then, remux the mkv file. Most of this work I automate.
SnaykeByte

Post by SnaykeByte »

I preciate the help everyone.