Shorter minimum for live preview duration.

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

mrelwood

Shorter minimum for live preview duration.

Post by mrelwood »

Please describe what you would like to see added to HandBrake:
More options or an input field for the live preview duration. 15 seconds is unnecessarily long for the shortest option.

1) Combined dropdown menu - input field.
In some applications dropdown menus can also be typed into. When clicking the menu, one can type the preferred amount, which will turn the menu into a text input field.

2) Input field only.
I don't see the advantage of the preset durations, so I'd gladly see the menu replaced with a numeric input field only. It should accept values atleast between 1 and the current maximum 240.

3) Add options 2s and 5s to the current dropdown menu.

Why would you like to see this added:
My computer is a bit old. I don't have the experience to estimate how the conversion settings affect the end result, so I have to do a lot of testing. Live preview is the easiest way of doing this, but waiting for 30 seconds for the 15s encoding to finish is unnecessary, when I can usually see what I need to from the first 1-2 seconds of the video.

What version of HandBrake are you currently running:

What operating system and version and you currently running (e.g. OSX 10.11, Windows 7, Ubuntu 14):
MacOS 10.12.3
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Shorter minimum for live preview duration.

Post by Woodstock »

Why bother with preview? You can tell handbrake to encode 2 or 3 seconds (same menu as choosing chapters, but you click on the little triangle to change "Chapters" to "Seconds"). Encode. Play. Make changes. Encode, play. Repeat as needed.
mrelwood

Post by mrelwood »

Thank you for the tip. To use the included preview is much less hassle than to:
- change the encoding range format
- change range value
- encode
- locate the file (using a file browser)
- play back the file (using a video player)
- change the range back (back in Handbrake)

These steps alone take almost as much time as letting the preview encode the 15 seconds. I think the preview option is there for a reason. After this small addition it is a fast and botherless (only two mouse clicks) way for previewing the settings.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I see no reason we can't add this. The Windows UI already allows down to 5s.