[Fixed] Advanced Settings Tab in WinGUI still has some problems

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

fervid

[Fixed] Advanced Settings Tab in WinGUI still has some problems

Post by fervid »

Please describe the problem in as much detail as possible:
I reported part of this before, but can't find the post- Checking to "Use Advanced Tab Instead" in Video Tab isn't sticking between sessions. (App starts up with it checked, but the Advanced Tab isn't enabled- Unchecking and checking can enable it still though). I also noticed the options in the Advanced tab show one setting, but use another. Some of my videos went from taking an hour to render and less than 2GB in size to taking less than 30min but being over 3.5GB in size. Settings were all still the same, but the Encoder options text box at the bottom didn't show all the options. When I went through each option and picked a different setting then back to the setting it was on the Encoder options text grew with additional options and my videos rendered correct again.

What are the steps to reproduce this problem:
Render videos using Advanced Tab. Save a User Preset. Render videos and check between each render and while exiting and restarting if the Advance settings stay the same. (I usually use 4 Ref Frames, 8 B Frames, 3 Checkboxes under those all checked, Optimal Adaptive B, Auto Direct Mode, Uneven Multi-Hex, 7:RD in all frames, 24 Motion Est Range, All Partition Types, and Trellis Off)

What version of HandBrake you are running:
HandBrake-20160415-dc0c8ac_x86_64-Win_GUI

What operating system and version and you running (e.g. OSX 10.11, Windows 7, Ubuntu 14):
Windows 10

If there was any exception or error displayed, please copy it and paste it here:
No Errors, just settings not saved and videos rendered wrong.
FrostByte
Novice

Re: Advanced Settings Tab in WinGUI still has some problems

Post by FrostByte »

I've seen the same for several Win GUI nightly releases now. Same symptoms: advanced tab not available requiring you to uncheck and recheck the show advanced tab option but then when you do the correct settings aren't shown for the selected preset. After first starting HB I always start by clicking another preset and then reselect my default one again before encoding in order for HB to load the correct settings for my preset. Then I'm good for all encodes until I close HB.

I've included my latest log to show the settings in my preset, but this is after following the steps I used above to get the correct settings loaded.

http://pastebin.com/Tt4De9TV
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Isn't it time to nuke the advanced tab anyway...
FrostByte
Novice

Post by FrostByte »

I'm still seeing this error with the latest WinGUI nightly builds. User Preset which is set as the default will not show advanced settings unless you
1. Uncheck and recheck "Use Advanced Tab instead".
2. Select another preset and reselect your default preset again.

If you don't do step 2 then the settings shown under advanced are from a program preset and not your user preset. Prior to builds in the OP HB would show advanced settings for User Presets correctly at start

http://pastebin.com/hi0sC1mG
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: [Fixed] Advanced Settings Tab in WinGUI still has some problems

Post by s55 »

Some additional fixes made https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/issues/123

However, please note we are deprecating this tab, so we recommend you use the Video Tab, and specifiy any extra x264 arguments in the Extra options box. It takes the exact same format options as the advanced tab does.
FrostByte
Novice

Post by FrostByte »

Great, looks better and thanks for the tip.
gargsoho

Post by gargsoho »

This bug has emerged again again in 1.0.2
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

The code hasn't changed, so your going to have to be more specific than it doesn't work given it's working for other users. Something you are doing is different, so please tell us what it is your actually doing.
gargsoho

Post by gargsoho »

fervid wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:41 pm Please describe the problem in as much detail as possible:
I reported part of this before, but can't find the post- Checking to "Use Advanced Tab Instead" in Video Tab isn't sticking between sessions. (App starts up with it checked, but the Advanced Tab isn't enabled- Unchecking and checking can enable it still though).
This is occurring with custom presets.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

again, step by step, what are you doing? Is this a default preset your using?
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

mduell wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:41 am Isn't it time to nuke the advanced tab anyway...
No.

SC
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Smithcraft wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:59 am
mduell wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:41 am Isn't it time to nuke the advanced tab anyway...
No.

SC
I respectfully disagree. The advanced tabs provides some widgets to set some x264 options as a convenience for the user, which is nice, but:

- people who aren't advanced users should stick with libx264's presets as much as possible

- advanced users such as yourself may have a set of extra options they like to use, but we do have a text box for that on the video panel; sure, fancy graphical widgets are "nicer" than copy/paste, but the end result is the same (except the fact that maintaining the "Advanced" panel takes up valuable time better spent on other, more useful parts of the code)
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

I liked it best when the GUI choices automatically populated the text box a la 0.10.3 ?

General comment here:
-- It is good to initially present a clean unscary user interface.
-- Trying to save users from themselves is mostly counterproductive.

So here's an emergent thought:
Instead of semi-hidden advanced controls, employ two separate interfaces --
-- Basic, which could be dumbed-down even further for a rich soccer-mom experience; and,
-- Advanced, with so many bells and whistles that our budding Sheldons could never get right.

Is there enough interest to make this a feature request?
Last edited by Deleted User 13735 on Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Even as a feature request, I doubt you'll find much developer interest, at least from the core team. Your best bet would be to find someone else to actually write a patch.

The problem with two interfaces is that it takes time to implement, and time to maintain, and I'm reasonably confident I speak for most/all of the "HandBrake Team" when I say we'd rather spent time working on anything but a graphical interface with the sole purpose of being able to skip typing a few options in a text box.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Understood.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Easy to use advanced encoder options seem to be more misused based on [Censored] youtube tutorials than see any legitimate (useful) use for users who understand encoder intricacies but can't type in the commands they want.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

Rodeo wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:24 am
Smithcraft wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:59 am
No.

SC
I respectfully disagree. The advanced tabs provides some widgets to set some x264 options as a convenience for the user, which is nice, but:

- people who aren't advanced users should stick with libx264's presets as much as possible

- advanced users such as yourself may have a set of extra options they like to use, but we do have a text box for that on the video panel; sure, fancy graphical widgets are "nicer" than copy/paste, but the end result is the same (except the fact that maintaining the "Advanced" panel takes up valuable time better spent on other, more useful parts of the code)
Then it would seem to me that you agree with me... :wink:

SC
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

To be honest, I much prefer the Encoder Preset with manual adjustments approach. If you don't know enough to make manual adjustments, you shouldn't be using the advanced tab anyway. I don't really have the time to maintain the x264 tab, or even add tabs for ever other encoder. It's not worth the effort for so little gain. Especially when you consider that we only ever supported a subset of options to begin with.